Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATP Skill Test. Europe or US

Do you have to learn Chinese?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Neither US nor Europe ATP. It’s all about China (while Europe keeps declining and resting on its laurels)
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/products/chinaatpl/

United States

I just done my ATP practical. I did my written test at FlightSafety in Paris in July 2014.

For the practical I used Europe-American Aviation in Naples, FL. (called Skystead on Facebook).

They have Diamond G1000 aircrafts. Both SE and ME. I flew a DA-42. Price PR hrs $458 + $80 for instructor…. ouuugh. BUT their DA-42 sim was only $200 pr hour incl instructor.

I used the sim for 4.4 hrs to get used to all possible approaches and failures and then I spent 5.4 hrs in the real aircraft incl examination.

I came out incl all (airfares, rental cars, food, hotel, examier fee on $650) just shy of $5000.

As I already had FAA CPL MEL IR that meant that no VISA for flt trng in the US was required. That saved me properly $150-200.

Be aware that their is a need for DPEs in Florida at the moment. A lot of pre-2014 ATP writ tens need to do their practical now. This means DPEs are very very difficult to book as they can max do two examinations a day. And maybe that’s why the big ALL-ATP school has raise the price to $5495 + examiners fee.

Cheers FD

Float Driver

Aviathor wrote:

On the other hand the NO CAA will send you an invoice for certificate validation No kidding.

Done it 3 times now.
No invoices so far.
Now I probably jinxed it ;)

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

I guess you mean to get the Verification Process?!

Yes.

spirit49 wrote:

Someone mentioned about a year ago in one of my other Posts, that you now how to show up in person at the Norwegian CAA (in Bodø), to make them issue the Verification to the FAA.
Is this correct?

That must have been me, but it does not apply to the certificate validation process. It was related to the process for changing the foreign license certificate number.

On the other hand the NO CAA will send you an invoice for certificate validation No kidding.

LFPT, LFPN

I guess you mean to get the Verification Process?!

It was pretty fast even with Snail Mail.

spirit49
LOIH

Not sure it’s still useful to you, but you can speed up the process by using fax/ e-mail instead of “snail” mail.

It looks like I will go for the European version of the ATP skill test.
However, the Twin I was suppose to use for the training/test is down for engine OH for the next months.
So now I need to find a Twin owner that would be willing to rent out for about 5 hours.

If anybody know of a Twin for rent(for a reasonable amount per hour) in the Bodensee/Innsbruck/Munchen area, I would love to hear about it.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH

Thanks guys for your inputs.

Since I will have problems scheduling the training and examination in the US, I have decided to go for the European version.

So I am about to get the “Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License” sent to the FAA.
I have done this twice in the past, and I understand that this normally takes about 6 weeks to get completed.

-Letter is sent to the FAA.
-FAA sends a request for Authenticity to the Norwegian CAA.
-Norwegian CAA replies back to the FAA
-FAA sends me the Confirmation by Post, and this is then handed to the Examiner for the Test!?
Did I understand the process correctly?

Someone mentioned about a year ago in one of my other Posts, that you now how to show up in person at the Norwegian CAA (in Bodø), to make them issue the Verification to the FAA.
Is this correct?
Never had to do this on the previous 2 Verifications I have done.

Espen

spirit49
LOIH
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message