Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin 430 (holding patterns)

I only do that for training, once a year, but i simply fly inbound on the course set with the OBS, do the turn and fly the correct GPS outbound track. Since i have direct wind indication on the PFD i modify the turns by “common sense”… the results (ground track) are always close enough.

(PS: The DFC90 autopilot will do the +180 degree turns aswell, just like the GFC700)

JasonC wrote:

So here is how I do it with the GPS.

Just tried that in the sim – brilliant and so simple.

So here is how I do it with the GPS.

Surely you just use the “Hold at Waypoint” feature in G1000 in practice, and sit back and relax? Same in the GTN but unfortunately not available on the GNS.

The problem with flying a hold “manually”, even with GPS+AP, is that it doesn’t sufficiently reduce workload enough to easily be able to do other stuff, such as plan a diversion.

Many people seem unfamiliar with how to use the G1000 or GTN to fly fully automated holding (including the entry), but it’s invaluable.

ortac wrote:

Surely you just use the “Hold at Waypoint” feature in G1000 in practice, and sit back and relax? Same in the GTN but unfortunately not available on the GNS.

That feature is not in the Mustang software version yet. Next month it is being released along with Baro-VNAV ADS-B etc.

EGTK Oxford

ortac wrote:

Surely you just use the “Hold at Waypoint” feature in G1000 in practice, and sit back and relax?

It’s not available in all G1000 versions. E.g. not in the Cessna NAVIII (e.g. 172, 182) version unless it has been introduced very recently. (Later than this spring.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My 430Ws/DFC90 combination will fly the entry and hold for every published hold completely automatic. But only holds that are part of the approach are in the database.

But with OBS and HDG bug it’s really not much work.

JasonC wrote:

That feature is not in the Mustang software version yet. Next month it is being released along with Baro-VNAV ADS-B etc.

Where do you find information about new software versions? I assume it is somewhere on the Garmin web site, but where?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The other thing is that most IFR GPSs cannot fly a hold at a user defined location, and AFAIK (never had that feature myself) most can fly only published holds.

The old but great Apollo/Garmin GNS480 could fly a hold anywhere, even at a VOR radial/distance defined point, IIRC. I think the IFD540 is one of the better boxes in this respect too.

Whereas the OBS method works anywhere, and works with the simplest GPS provided it has an OBS mode. And with a moving map it is especially easy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s not available in all G1000 versions.

Sure but I figured it would be available on the Mustang. I guess I have found the only thing my aircraft (SR22T) can do that Jason’s can’t :)

It’s obviously not that hard to fly a hold manually with GPS, OBS, etc. But it does take concentration and mental imagery or a sketch to work out the entry, drift, and so on. And it’s nice to know that if you start to get overloaded due to weather, ATC, whatever, you can defer the entire hold process to the automation and concentrate on other things.

Yes, i agree, but i have the large and active approach plate on the MFD – so it’s much easier. Actually you can easily fly it with the hdg bug only, just keep the airplane symbol on the black line :-)

Your SR22T can do all mine can – and more

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Aug 11:15
Sign in to add your message