Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TB20 Ceiling vs POH Figures

The Lido fly-in was moved to Portoroz not because the TB20 would have a problem there but because (despite me posting a request for some local pilot to check this) it was “discovered” at the last moment that the film festival was held on the island and it would be mayhem. Also, incidentally, from behind the scenes contacts, I know that any grass field fly-in proposal causes at least 1/3 to cancel, but most of them won’t say it openly because of concerns of being called sissies

Some perf data points are here and here and here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Lucius wrote:

Peter provided one data point for FL210, which is 9.5 gals/hr at -20C (5 degrees warmer than ISA) and a TAS of 135 knots, which results in 14nm/gal

A T182T trucks along at 175TAS on 16-17 gph at FL200, at 135TAS it would be using around 10gph – given the many threads on maintenance of retractable undercarriage systems, a G1000/GFC700/TKS T182T may be the answer. It would also open up the range of fly in destinations, even Venice Lido.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

For avoidance of doubt there is no CHT problem at high altitudes on the TB20. The ROP operation is purely to get the best power. Obviously, the ceiling is reached at the best power setting.

Administrator

The climb would be done using the constant-EGT method, 2575rpm all the way up.

Below about FL170 one can cruise economically at 2400rpm and peak EGT. Above that, one needs best-power (some 150F ROP) and 2575rpm. So one doesn’t fly high unless required to keep above wx. One is doing some 20% less MPG up there. So the MPG versus altitude curve will not be monotonic.

Best nice-day cruise is FL090-110 or so; it’s not really critical. Wide open throttle of course, always at altitude.

It is surprisingly hard to get consistent data for fuel flow etc. I did go through my logs and posted a load of data points here a while ago. Stuff like 150kt TAS at 10.5 USG/hr, 2400rpm.

Administrator

I really would like to inter- and extrapolate performance numbers for TB20 above 12,000 and up to 18,000 feet. Since above 12,000 feet, RPM will always be 2500, and HP maximum possible, the remaining variables are OAT, fuel flow and TAS. Peter provided one data point for FL210, which is 9.5 gals/hr at -20C (5 degrees warmer than ISA) and a TAS of 135 knots, which results in 14nm/gal. Perhaps a dozen of more data points, and one can draw a curve. Wouldn’t mind doing this, once I have the data points.

United States

Just been updating the UK CAA approved POH which mysteriously arrived the other day and it contains this:

I don’t have time to go through the whole POH now but it used to be that the UK POH stated 20000ft while the FAA version stated 18000ft. The difference being that the former was based on +50fpm and the latter on +100fpm.

Administrator

got it. Thanks for the explanation !

LFBZ, France

An N-reg TB20 is not FIKI (a US specific term which maps onto US specific wx services). This is because the FAA requires dual alternators, a heated stall warner, and some other stuff.

An EASA-reg TB20 is approved for flight in specified icing conditions.

Administrator

A question seeing the last post of Peter.

I see a lots of POH and forums saying TB20 is FIKI Prohibited.

But on some videos, I see placards which say the opposite.

Ex :

“Flight conditions : IFR and VFR by day and night.
Flight into know icing conditions approved.
To refer to the Flight Manual Supplement”.

Is it dependent of the TKS equipment ?
Or is it dependent of the registration country regulations ?

LFBZ, France

Administrator
46 Posts
Sign in to add your message