Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

TBM 900... Nice movie!

Already a few years my dreamplane, the 850. Just perfect for a girl, not too big, fast and it looks fabulous. Probably it will stay with dreaming.

I read all the time maintenance is so expensive: is this sheet accurate:costsheet TBM ?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke wrote:

I read all the time maintenance is so expensive: is this sheet accurate:costsheet TBM ?

They sell new ones with 5 year/1000hr maintenance program. Owner pays fuel, oil, brake pads. All inspections are “free”. I guess it can get expensive later, but have no hard data.

LPFR, Poland

I read all the time maintenance is so expensive: is this sheet accurate

To a non-owner the figures appear to be in the right area but e.g. you would be doing damn well to get hangarage for $9,600.00 in Europe. Well, maybe in some places I have been to and don’t want to revisit

I had a look at a used TBM700 a while ago, but I would have run it under Part 91 so ignoring all lifed parts (which are expensive on a TBM) except where listed in the Airworthiness section of the MM. Also you ignore stupid stuff like checking the autopilot servo clutches at every Annual (2 man-days). Then it would have cost a lot less, but you would need to be well organised to run such an operation. A TBM needs some special tools – my A&P used to work on them. You need more than a set of metric sockets…

They sell new ones with 5 year/1000hr maintenance program. Owner pays fuel, oil, brake pads. All inspections are “free”. I guess it can get expensive later, but have no hard data.

I know (slightly) some owners and what I heard was that they were not looking forward to the end of their warranty… OTOH none of them were involved in the maintenance and just took it to a company which did the whole MM list. That is what most owners do, seemingly.

I don’t think the 5 year warranty costs Socata very much because

• a new plane doesn’t have much going wrong (on average)
  • any parts they have to replace they buy for maybe 1/10 of the invoiced figure (often uncertified, and they generate the docs for them under their 145 authority)
  • if you have to fly to the dealer or to Tarbes, they don’t pay for that

On my TB20 the 2 year warranty bill was about 100k (mostly avionics) but that was IMHO because they built it with avionics returned by other customers, with intermittent faults.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In theory people trade them in before the warranty expires. Not sure what annual depreciation works out (arguably part of the trade in counts as upgrade value as you go to a -900, from a -700 or -850), but $100k might not be too far from the average? At 200 hours p.a. and trading in at year five you would still be a couple of thousand hours to TBO.

It would be interesting to get real world cruise numbers for FL280 and keeping ITT to 750, cruise numbers with an ITT of 820 and FL310 might be commissioned for the brochure.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

To stay in line with the title of the thread, here is another nice movie featuring the new addition to the TBM range: The TBM 930.

To answer Robert, real world cruise figures have varied over the years: The venerable TBM 700 was marketed as a 300kts airplane and the POH reflected this performance under top conditions. However, it has always been hard for me get this cruise speed…Perhaps a couple very well rigged serial numbers achieve 295KTS but the majority of these airplanes were flying around 285KTS because the POH reflected numbers for an airplane without the radar pod and some antenna.

The TBM 900 is different. The book is extremely accurate. You get the exact speed as indicated on the POH and it turns this airplane is a great traveling machine:
FL310 330KTS on 61 USG is not uncommon. That gives a very nice range. In terms of ITT, as most TBM 900 are very recent, you are never limited so you can apply the max cruise torque setting allowed and stay below 800 C which gives you a comfortable margin.

On the maintenance front, the airplanes eligible for the pre-owned maintenance program or the 5-year maintenance on a new aircraft are really appealing. That is certainly the reason why after 2 years, we only have one pre-owned TBM 900 available. Our customers are really enjoying this as it makes a big difference in their total cost of ownership.

EGKB LFQQ EBAW

Great video, the motor memory of not touching the expensive glass to avoid smudges will have to be re learned. 330KTAS is a big jump on the turbo prop competition, and for typical European sectors of 500-800nm you might only arrive 15-20 minutes after the jet, or beat the early slowtations.

Interesting that the radar pod is on the port wing, there should be a small speed dividend by placing it on the starboard wing as it might offset some of the torque effect? Thereby reducing a fin or engine mount offset? The other SETs typically have it on the starboard wing.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

TBM factory sponsored movie

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
37 Posts
Sign in to add your message