Welcome to our forums

The end of Learjet

You can roll ’em, too:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLIj7Q1jFgP/?chaining=true

Lear 24 I think? Don’t try at home.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Isn’t the reason that it has much better pressurization than the competition

Could be,but maybe also the low stance. We used to run an Air Ambulance operation in t he 90’s with TurboCommander 690A’s and the main reason for the type was we did not have to carry the stretcher up any stairs

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Sebastian_G wrote:

But in Germany it still seems to be very popular for air ambulance operations.

Isn’t the reason that it has much better pressurization than the competition? It’s been many years now, but I once was on a medevac flight (not as patient!) and the pilots told me they could pressurize it to sea level up to FL 300 or somesuch.

In the local hangar we have a Phenom 300 right next to a late model Lear. From a passenger perspective the Phenom just looks better. Higher up with a proper stair while the Lear is so low with a small cabin cross section. Then whenever the Lear moves the owner needs a paid copilot which seems like a major hassle. Also the Lear does not like short runways and seems to go quite slow compared to planes with swept wings like a Citation X or similar. But in Germany it still seems to be very popular for air ambulance operations.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Isn’t it also the small and low cabin which killed the lear ? More and more cabins allow to stand up now.

LFOU, France

Maybe.

It just seems like today, you need to have gone to Harvard or MIT to even be taken seriously as an upstart entrepreneur or get any kind of investments.

AdamFrisch wrote:

let’s-get-it-done types we don’t really see much anymore.

I don’t think they were that common then, either. One of these types really won’t come to prominence till years after they have “bootstrapped” – there are many of these characters around right now as I write this, we just don’t know their names yet because it’ll be 20+ years before they are famous for it.

Andreas IOM

SP offering would have saved them. Sad, because the Lear design still looks modern 60 years later.

BTW, Bill Lear – if you ever get a chance to read his story, he was a pretty impressive guy. One of those self-taught, boostrapping, let’s-get-it-done types we don’t really see much anymore.

loco wrote:

Customers don’t care about extra redundancy and go for the cheaper option.

Operators too don’t care I think, sadly.

always learning
LO__, Austria
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message