Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Traben-Trabach ("Mont-Royal") airfield (EDRM), Germany

10 Posts

One more from the series „the most scenic airfields in Germany”…

Traben-Trabach (“Mont-Royal”) airfield, ICAO, EDRM, is situated on a hilltop in a tight bend of the river Mosel, about 50 kilometres before it finally flows into river Rhine, in Koblenz.

The airfield is a typical German “grassroots” flying type of airfield. Lots in glider flying, ultralight flying, plus the occasional visitor in SEP type aircraft with less than 2 tons MTOW. Usually closed or with very little action in the winter and generally on weekdays, but lots of activity on nice summer weekends.

Wanting to get more familiar with the Morane was the perfect occasion for me to head to Traben-Trabach once again, after I hadn’t visited for at least 6 years or so. Last Sunday was glorious sunshine all over Germany and 25 degrees. The flight from Mainz (EDFZ) is only about 40 miles, so no big thing even in the slowish Morane.

Even though this is primarily about Traben-Trabach airfield, I will add in a few pics from the way in and out.
Here is the little bird again, whilst still parked at Mainz.

Just after takeoff from Mainz, flying along the river Rhine near Bad Ruedesheim. Obviously, the slats are fully “in” during cruise flight.

Overhead Bingen, where the River Nahe flows into the Rhein.

This is also where the river Rhine makes a distinct turn to the right (north), and where the famous “Mittelrheintal” with its numerous castles begins. Pretty, innit?

Also, in Germany, May is rape blossom season… always a treat.

Here we are, approaching the river Mosel.

Here is a snippet from the VFR approach chart for Traben-Trabach, to give you an idea of the unique location of the airfield.

And here I am on right base for runway 36. The runway has an upslope towards the north, so they usually use 36 for landings and 18 for takeoffs.

Parked up, with the “tower” in the background.

Here is a shot down runway 18.

This is the airfield restaurant with their beautiful garden terrace. On beautiful days like this, they sell lots and lots of homemade cake. By the way, the Morane that you can see in the background is the glider tug of the local aeroclub. Of course, it has a bigger engine than the one I am flying, a Lycoming O-360 with 180 hp.

From just outside the airfield, you get views like this one.

From there, it is a very pleasant, 25-minute walk down into the town of Traben-Trabach.There it is.

Some impressions from down in the town.

It’s a nice little place for a few hours, but honestly, nothing all too spectacular. Bernkastel-Kues is more beautiful and about 20 kilometres further upstream, but there is no airfield right there.

Back at the airfield, a Pitts (also from Mainz) was just departing for a local bimble.

By the way, both on the way in, and on the way out, I crossed the CTR of Hahn airport (EDFH), also known as the (in)famous “Frankfurt-Hahn” airport. Not much going on there nowadays, but occasionally, a big freight aircraft or a Ryanair lands or departs.

Also, this area (the Hunsrueck, as it is called) has in recent years been totally plastered with wind farms. Quite terrible, in my opinion.

They even put them right on the top of the hills and ridges, creating nice little obstacles for those pesky VFR flyers.

Reaching the river Rhine near Bingen again.

Back at Mainz-Finthen airport (the mighty Morane is in the first row, right side).

Hope you enjoyed this little pirep. One more practical note for the non-German speakers that might want to fly in to Traben-Trabach: like so many of the German “low-end” airfields, it is officially “German-only” on the radio. In fact, due to the their very mixed types of traffic and the fact that they usually use runway 18 for departures and runway 36 for landings, it would not be good to come in and not be able to properly communicate with the A/G operator at least. Therefore, if you wish to go, call them in advance and make sure there will be someone in the “tower” who will be able to fit you in in English.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 May 18:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I see you’re putting the Morane to the excellent use! I love those grass fields along the Mosel! Neumagen Dhron is similar… nothing like a flight, a walk down to the riverbank, a glass (or two) of Riesling, a night in an inn by the river, and a morning flight home! BTW Although I call ahead to make sure, I’ve never found using English a problem.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 10 May 19:17
Tököl LHTL

Thanks for taking the time to write this report, bosco. Very beautiful and it shows, that one can also get lots of fun on a little afternoon trip with a very basic SEP.

However I’ve never heard of Bad Ruedesheim yet

EDLE
Quite true! I have probably flown to Duerkeim too much recently!
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice one, Bosco! Good to see Germany also has airfields sitting on top of a ‘Mesa’

Wonderful such a field, thanks for posting.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

172driver wrote:

Nice one, Bosco! Good to see Germany also has airfields sitting on top of a ‘Mesa’

Yep a German Sedona.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

a German Sedona
There are more, try Koblenz Winningen EDRK, also with the town just downstairs, or Hoexter EDVI.

ESMK, Sweden

A very nice report. I must have flown over that river bend many times, as usual never having any idea where it was

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice write-up! I visited the field last year in October or so with my parents and we had a pleasant day. EDRK is a nice alternative for those who avoid grass.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message