Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Training for night rating at different outfits

Martin wrote:

It’s actually 35 hours if something simple is used. Key to success is training intensively. It’s more efficient than dragging it out for months. But a lot of people can’t make the time

I don’t know. I’m the product of an American PPL sausage factory and you can say a lot of things about us but not that we dragged it out for months.

I felt I needed those 45 hours (two sessions/per day for four weeks, roundabout) that I used and don’t recall anyone at the time needing much less. There was one guy who completed with 45 hours including the skill test and we all thought that was pretty good. I’m not arguing it’s not possible in 35 hours for exceptional talents or, as bosco said, people with prior experience, but I don’t think it’s very common.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

@Patrick Age would be a significant factor. And what’s used for training. It’s surprising to me that nobody managed to do better (assuming something simple was used). You of course need the 45 hours to get a licence (certificate). But you can use the spare time to transition into something hotter, more complex. Just like here. I don’t remember whether getting a night rating was also a possibility, it’s quite some time since I looked into training in the USA.

@boscomantico Maybe in Germany, it should be possible for example in the UK.

boscomantico wrote:

Yes, but not categorically. Germany has retained the SS+30 rule, contrary to SERA.

I would be quite surprised by such blatant contradiction to EU law, at least in the new version of the LuftVO, which I somehow had a hard time finding but there is one isn’t there? The NfL only contain information that VFR at night is allowed.

Quoting SERA Article 2 lit 97 “‘night’ means the hours between the end of evening civil twilight and the beginning of morning civil twilight. Civil twilight ends in the evening when the centre of the sun’s disc is 6 degrees below the horizon and begins in the morning when the centre of the sun’s disc is 6 degrees below the horizon;”

SERA is a EU implementing regulation and regulations take immediate effect in all member states (still have to consider opt-outs offered in the law) and supersede national law. Which means that of course there are some details left over to the countries, for example whether VFR at night is allowed (SERA.5005 c) but I am quite certain that no national authority can change the rules concerning night vfr, expect the minimum alts as laid out in SERA, and also certainly not the definition of night given in SERA.

And I guess that will be kind of a defining moment in the coming years whether EASA will actually come down hard on the national authorities for incorrect implementations of its rules. (Quite an old piece and in German: https://www.pilotundflugzeug.de/artikel/2014-05-29/LBA_zur_Grunduberholung5)

Are you certain that the requirement for IFR waypoints is still somehow in effect in Germany? In Austria all of this changed completely this year with SERA.

Fly for your dreams
LOAV

achimha wrote:

That was supposedly the situation before SERA (although I don’t know anybody that got actually fined) but now with SERA you have the right to file a flight plan in the air.

Thanks for the info, didn’t know that however that probably assumes FIS can and will physically accept it to pass on to AIS-C – I can just imagine calling Bremen Info, asking to submit a NVFR flight plan over the air for a longer route….. imagine how many pilots will be getting frustrated as they try to “request leaving your frequency” but can’t because I’m blocking it……

EDL*, Germany

As an instructor I find doing night rating s pretty difficult. My local airfield had one hell of a drugs bust so there not keen on out of hours movements.

There are no airfields I’m the vicinity that allow night circuits (doncaster, Coventry don’t allow circuits after 2300).

In fact in the past we have used Prestwick but they then put up their charges to 20 quid a touch and go.

I was hoping that PCL would become more widespread now that the UK CAA allow it. But locally it would appear the uptake has been none existant.

Quite annoyingly as pretty well ever summer I have some kid who wants to do a CPL yet doesn’t have a night rating.

35 Posts
Sign in to add your message