Welcome to our forums

Trip to Friedrichshafen and more

The videos I promised and never posted apparently:

Landing:

Take-Off:

ESME, ESMS

Great trip, great write-up.

I also like the idea of tracking ships
Small note of caution – you need to get their attention via ATC & coastguard: on large carriers it is normal that no one watches continuously. Someone walks by from time to time, only.
A few sailors found out the hard way.

And of course, you have to see the ships ;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 24 Apr 17:31
EDM_, Germany

Maybe you shouldn’t try to ditch in front of it. But it would still be better being near a ship than far from one. Even if they don’t see you, ATC could advice ships to look out.

ESME, ESMS

EuroFlyer wrote:

Dimme, I liked your idea to track the ships via marinetraffic in the report of your flight to the Aero. That’s a good idea.

Hehe. Deja-vu when scanning PuF first and then euroga.

From my understanding, it is advisable not to ditch right next to a moving (larger) ship due to their limited maneuverability and long time to come to a halt. Any views on this?

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Thanks for the write-up! Nice trip and I think you can’t complain about the WX

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks for your answer Dimme. I guess if I were flying alone I would be less hesitant to fly over the Baltic directly, but with wife and kids on board I’ll fly along the Danish and Swedish coast instead. No equipment carried in a SEP makes a ditching with two toddlers very survivable.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

@EuroFlyer I simply tracked them visually. See the picture above, there were quite a few.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme, I liked your idea to track the ships via marinetraffic in the report of your flight to the Aero. That’s a good idea.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

@MedEwok I’m wearing an inflatable life jacket and have a water proof Yaesu FTA-550 right next to me in case I need to grab it fast and strap it on me before splashdown. It is also important to keep track of the boats and where they are. I always had a boat at gliding distance and the best choice would be to ditch right next to one, provided you cannot glide to land. SkyDemon gives you a nice depiction of your gliding distance, all you have to do is set the gliding ratio in your aircraft settings. Also fly as high as possible over water.

It is also worth to mention that I was alone in the aircraft. I don’t know how realistic it would be to evacuate an aircraft with maximum passengers. Specially if one passes out and another needs to drag him/her out. Or if a kid makes a mistake and inflates the life jacket inside the aircraft.

Last Edited by Dimme at 24 Apr 06:22
ESME, ESMS

Thanks for a nice report Dimme.
How did you prepare for the water crossing? To me this is quite relevant as I plan to fly to Bornholm EKRN in May and the 50 nm over open water between Rügen and Bornholm are quite intimidating to fly over with my family in the back.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message