Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory handling in Spain

As late news I can tell that landing fees can be paid by visa payment with virtual TPV sitting on the plane in the ramp, works in all Aena airports.
https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/nuevo-tpv-virtual-de-aena-para-pagar-tasas-sin-bajar-del-avion/

Also Aena has published, for those airports with handling mandatory, a maximum tariff of 9’16€ per service:
https://realaeroclubdeespaña.org/handling/
Is important to follow instructions, handling agents in some airports try to avoid the maximum tariff. Not all handling agents are forced to apply this tariff, usually Iberia is one of them.
I’ve already tried: LEST, LEJR, LEIB successfully.
If one of the official agents don’t want to offer the service or wants more money, take the invoice and your emails requesting the service correctly and send it to www.realaeroclubdeespana.org o www.aopa-spain.org , they will make a complain in Aena Central Services.

I expect this helps you.

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

Also LERS (Reus) worked ok with IBERIA last September.

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

This is Iberia Invoice in LEST last august, for 2 services, arrival and departure, 7’79€ per service.

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

And this one is from 2 years ago.

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

That is good news to start the day

EBST, Belgium

Thanks. So what precisely is your „workflow“ to get this result? How do you get PPR and what do you do on the radio / once on the ground? Does it work likewise when needing customs or coming from „unsafe“ airports outside of Spain?

It would be interesting if this was possible also at those airports which have traditionally been known to very problematic, read: expensive, like Bilbao, Valencia, Alicante, Malaga, etc. (I know, some of these also gave high AENA landing fees, but the biggest item was still the handling).

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Jan 06:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

To give another point of view, from a pilot who travels quite a lot in Aena airports, and tries to use my wrights as a GA pilot, one of the biggest problems in Aena is not really Aena, is AESA, Spanish National Aeronautical Safety Agency. Our agency is responsible of most of GA destruction in Spain. This point of mandatory handling, is not a business for anybody, there is not enough amount of operations in Spain to make a business of it. It was the recommendation of AESA to AENA, not to leave GA pilots walk through restricted area without local accreditation. The result was Aena forcing handling agents to do a job they don’t want, at a price they don’t make money, to give a service that GA users we don’t want.
I told AESA and AENA several times how easy is to walk out at LFBO or LFMT, but they always point EASA rules, it’s funny, France is EASA as well.

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

Well boscomantico, I can’t lie to you, I’ve been hijacked in my plane with my family two times in LEST. Basically I follow the instructions in the webs of AOPA and Real Aeroclub de España, I sent you in previous posts. It was me who gave them the instructions after my experience.
But, I can tell that after my negative experience in LEST first times, and problems with operations office, police and handling agent asking for more money, nowadays LEST CEO and operations chief are my friends, I have personal phones and they helped me to make handling agents do their job at the price they have to. They still call me sometimes to invite me to operations meetings were GA is involved, although my base is LEVT, 250NM East of LEST.
With good instructions for everybody, and the help of all of you, I think we ca change this issue in few months, and make Spain more GA friendly.

1.-Check AIP for Handling Agent. Don’t contact General Aviation Agents, they have free tariff.
2,-Contact Comercial Aviation Agents by email as soon as you plan the flight.
3.-Ask proforma for “servicio de acompañamiento”.Never ask for basic handling service.
4.-If they don’t give a price below 9’16€ per service, send them the Aena conditions local copy
5.-If the problem persist send a complain to AOPA or Royal Aeroclub of Spain.
6.-If the proforma is ok, go ahead, enjoy your flight.

Each airport has his own problems, for example in LEST you can arrive for around 7€ by the big terminal, but you can’t leave by the terminal for that price, you have to do it by the vehicle police control in the old terminal, which is perfect, no queue. Since you can pay with TPV online and FPL in your phone, there is no need to go to the terminals any more. I use this way to go out and in, quick.

Good Luck!

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain

What I haven’t quite understood yet: If looking at that list of handling agents, how can I see which are the ones belonging to group 1 (“contracted” arline handling agents) and which are belonging to group 2 (liberalized, GA handling agents) ? Or all of those listed belonging to group 1?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Jan 09:52
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Good question!!!
They used to be wrong marked in AIP as COMERCIAL HANDLING AGENT, the ones “CONTRACTED” with fixed maximum price, and GENERAL AVIATION the ones with free tariff. But!!! Because of our several complains, I can see that on Spanish AIP, they now put the whole list and first two are the “CONTRACTED” ones. Usually are:IBERIA, WFS, GROUNDFORCE, this last one must never been confused with Grounforce executive, its not the same.
I can see LEMG AIP is old stile, still says GENERAL AVIATION for free price agents, and COMERCIAL AVIATION AND GENERAL AVIATION for contracted agents with maximum tariff.
So, if you only see one list of agents, choose first two, if there are two separated lists, choose the list of comercial aviation.
Did I explain my self? Not easy!

ECCZT
LEVT, Spain
Sign in to add your message