Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Iceland trip (from the UK, with some local flying in Iceland)

Great trip, thanks for the report ! Do you happen to know if one can rent a SEP somewhere in Iceland? I’ve been thinking of breaking one of my regular trips to / from Europe there. Would be great to do some local flying.

172driver wrote:

Do you happen to know if one can rent a SEP somewhere in Iceland?

I’ve had colleagues who’ve done it. They flew an Icelandic registered plane with EASA documents (possibly with Day VFR restriction, but they were only qualified for that anyway). They were handed the keys of the 172 after a quick checkout.
The guy at Reyjkavik FBO (who flies cubs, PA28s, arrows in addition to regional twin turboprops) said renting is definitely possible, and that he could arrange contact.

Note: On all these countryside airports, I doubt you could even manage a taxi. So I think your options are (in my decreasing order of preference):
- take bicycles and you can do what you want
- hitchhike – I think that’s a serious option to consider. Most rational people are not going to be scared of taking hitchikers on a relatively small island. Airfields are generally (/all) near roads.
- plan well, arrange local “taxis” to pick you up (might be difficult, I doubt many of these places even have taxis)
- fly only A-A flights from larger airports and look at the scenery.

Last Edited by Noe at 07 May 21:10

Jujupilote wrote:

Are immersing suits mandatory even in twins ?

I don’t know. Don’t think the law mandates it, but I wanted it. i’ve already lost an engine over the sea, and despite appreciating the comfort of the twin, I’m also aware that engine failures are likely far from independent (positively correlated).
The rest of our family also felt much better knowing we had a decent amount of survival equipment

@Noe, thanks, very good to know !! I guess the best would be a sort of A to A sightseeing flight with perhaps a couple of interesting landings thrown in.

Jujupilote wrote:

You had an amazing weather too. Very lucky for a pre planned trip.

The weather wasn’t properly “amazing”. I would likely not have departed on the Friday if I didn’t have O2 / deice, same on return. I also had to pick up IFR on one of the domestic flights.

Great report and pics, thanks!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Enjoyed reading, great pics and useful info. Thanks!

LPFR, Poland

Great trip and beautiful pictures. Iceland is definitely on my to-do list but it’s quite far from Croatia and it requires a lot of serious preparation due to possible weather hazards and flying long legs across pretty cold sea

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My brother reconstructed the tracks from the SkyDemon logs:

the Strava logs?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message