Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Questions VFR routing Belgium (EBNM) - Annemasse (LFLI)

Hello, I plan a VFR flight from Belgium to Annemasse. On the direct route there is Geneva.
Any suggestion on the routing to follow ? I was thinking going via SPR at 7500 ft to avoid Geneva CTR. Or would a direct route be possible ?
Thanks in advance !

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Hello,

In my experience, most of the time, the only way to cross the TMA is 10000 ft overhead Geneva.
The other option is the Oyonnax-Bellegarde route, then along the Rhône river to cross the pass, and then south east of the CTR to Romeo, the entry point for Annemasse.

Best,

Salim

Last Edited by Salim at 25 Jul 09:48
LFPN, LFLI, LFPZ

Hi Salim,
Thanks for the feedback.

Do others have experience with crossing Geneva TMA ?

jfw

I’ve never heard anyone ask for a VFR clearance through the zone or TMA.

I usually plan over the Jura and across the lake to VRP Echo but often end up diverting west via Salim’s route if I can’t see the top of the hills.

Both routes are quite scenic.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Most of the requests to transit GVA CTR are rejected. So just go below GVA TMA (3500ft) and avoid CTR to reach Annemasse directly.

LFLI, Switzerland

jfw wrote:

Do others have experience with crossing Geneva TMA ?

I did it once, but it was in a plane with turbo and oxygen, so I planned for “>FL100” as per the chart, on the “La Faucille” (GVA150009) to “La Roche” (GVA330013) route. They just asked me to choose an IFR level (just above or below my VFR level), and it was uneventful. It might have helped that I presented something of a “fait accompli” by presenting myself nearing the border already at such a level.

ELLX

I called Geneva Approach… If they can (traffic, weather, workload) VFR transit can be granted.
During EBNM-LFLI Trip I could cross the TMA whe arriving, and not for the return trip.
Conclusion: Just ask but be prepared for a no

jfw
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message