Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Visiting Mallorca - Son Bonet LESB

WingsWaterAndWheels wrote:

We have this requirement here at ENVA since I’ve been based here (15 years). It seems similar to the CIME card but we only get access to ENVA with our badge.

Doesn’t Norway have a system where private pilots can get access to all Avinor airports?

So far we have nothing like the CIME card in Sweden. I don’t know if that’s a good or bad thing. It would be good if such a card led to easier airport access (particularly outside regular hours) and fewer requirements for handling. On the other hand it works pretty well as it is and getting such a card is sure to be connected with both hassle and cost.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 30 Jan 11:39
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just completed two day VFR trip to Mallorca with Bristell NG5 912is. LELG (Los Garrancios) – LESB (San Bonet) – Son Alberti (Private Field). Special thanks for @aart who helped through many stages of the trip

LELG (Los Garancios) is located in CTR of San Javier military airport. I have used Alicante airport South and North visual corridors. It was very nice overflighth over the runway at 4500 ft.

The fligh over the sea was fantastic, as the wether was sunny and winds were calm all the way. ATC of Alicante and Palma were very helpfull. I have requested to continue VFR at 5000 ft directly to LESB. They have aprooved it. Please be noted that it is A space above 3500 ft.

The landing in San Bonet was easy as it has big quality runway. Working hours should be taken into account, as they close before the sunset. You need PPR 96 hours in advance if arrive outside working hours. Landing fee and stay overnight was 26 Eur. Next day I flew according to @aart recomendations inland and then landed at very scenic and nice Son Alberti runway. So Bristell NG5 met Bristell B23 in Mallorca

The flight back also was nice, as usual Alicante and Palma ATC were clear and correct. The last picture was already in inland Spain – Embalse de la Pedra.

EYKS (Lithuania), LELG (Spain), Lithuania

Thanks for the visit @Juozas . It was nice (if brief) to have a chance to meet you and am glad you enjoyed our island. Sorry I had to avoid hugging but better keep my viruses within me at this time!
Your flight happened to link the three most cherished places in my life: Murcia, my birthplace…we used to commute alongside La Pedrera frequently enroute from our Murcia home to our summer place at Torrevieja, San Javier LELC (just next to Los Garranchos LELG) , the location of my current air force reserve assignment at the Air and Space Force Academy, and finally my current homeplace and flying base at LESB in Mallorca.

@aart is the best host so when he mentioned he needed ramp access to meet you and I was coincidentally on site at LESB I was quick to security-sponsor him (read above) so he could inspect your mount and yourself upon landing! You were lucky to enjoy his hospitality!

Fly safe!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Good to meet you here @Juozas. Nice to see that Spanish ATC treated you well, overflying Alicante and well into A airspace near Mallorca. The latter permission is not given all that often, you must have charmed them on the radio.

Much to my embarrassment one can see from the picture below that I’ve lost my ability to walk around in a T-shirt at 17 degrees C, unlike a proper Northerner like you.

Thanks @Antonio for smuggling me airside. Even without a reflective vest and without a safety course I somehow survived.

Last Edited by aart at 05 Feb 16:35
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I posted this above:

Went to LESB to get my platform access badge renewed. They told me I need to first do a safety course including a test at some outside company. Of course it does not, and could not, apply for local and foreign pilots landing or departing. The departing ones will be allowed on the platform provided they can show a FPL. But for local pilots that for some reason need to be on the platform without flying, they would need a badge and thus a course. Apparently pilots with a FPL filed know everything about safety and those who don’t are plain stupid in this regard.

It gets better.. I’ve decided to laugh and not cry, here’s the story:

Even if @Antonio would be foolish enough to rent out his aircraft to me and be my ‘sponsor’ for getting a badge for airside access, the badge can only be used for that sole purpose. So, walking into a neighboring hangar to say hi to a friend or, heaven forbid, greet a EuroGA arrival on the platform would be seen as a serious legal offense. I’ve decided to call these folks KAFKAENA. No thanks, no badge for me.

But, to be honest, some balance is appropriate when it comes to GA in Spain. Not that the authorities are introducing improvements (mainly for Annex 1 btw) out of the goodness of their heart, but probably because they want a very persistent sector off their backs. Respect for these folks to keep the pressure on! I hope they reach their goals before I am holding position at FL minus 000060.

Last Edited by aart at 04 Mar 11:51
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

So, walking into a neighboring hangar to say hi to a friend or, heaven forbid, greet a EuroGA arrival on the platform would be seen as a serious legal offense. I’ve decided to call these folks KAFKAENA. No thanks, no badge for me

This has been “standard” at many airports with security across Europe. When accessing such apron, you always have to say you want to go flying, whether true or not. Never say something like “I want to meet xy”, “I need to wash my aircraft”, or similar.

I know I Spain this might mean having to file a flightplan (anc cancelling it) for nothing…

It’s a sad state of affairs.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 04 Mar 13:12
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

To add some colour to the above, the airport manager at LESB for the past five years is the former security manager of a 20Mpax/year AENA airport.

I am still figuring how to manage the system, but knowing and being kind to the people managing it has greased things enough for me until now even when accessing for other than official flying, alone or accompanied. I still have to carry my hi-vis and show ID’s of those coming with me. Making that work for anybody else should not be terribly difficult, but don’t expect a clear set of rules facilitating it.

Some more color: hangars are rented officially only for “hangarage” unless you have an agreement with AENA for maintenance and the relevant authority approvals. They however were never very strict in enforcing it which worked out fine for me.
There used to be two maintenance shops on the field. AENA have changed their commercial policy in the past few months effectively forcing one of the two shops out of the field (sadly now shut-down, after decades of building it up).
Simultaneously, they have decided to enforce the “hangarage-only” use policy…which may put some of us in a difficult position and with few or no options (as if AENA cared)

I am sure it will eventually work out somehow, it is just that, in typical Spanish/Italian way, nobody knows how…

Last Edited by Antonio at 04 Mar 17:31
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dear friends, do you recommend LESB for refueling on my way from LFKO to LEAX? Is there a simple procedure or not? the price of fuel is not important.
Thanx

Last Edited by Vlado at 15 Mar 08:30
LZTN, Slovakia

Well, if you absolutely need to pick up fuel (I assume Avgas) on the Balearics, then I guess yes.
Why? Because LESL doesn’t have fuel and LEMH as well as LEIB are probably a more complicated for a fuel stop.
Just pay attention to the opening times of the fuelling at LESB.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

thank you, dear friend. I need to refuel, because there is currently no fuel at LFKO.

Last Edited by Vlado at 15 Mar 09:48
LZTN, Slovakia
Sign in to add your message