Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

Winter flying doesn’t get much better than that. Terrific.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Well, I can’t spot it… is it here somewhere?

I have flown over it IFR many times and it is very visible from above.

I have also been there and it looks out over the glacier to the right in the above pic. This is a view from it, I believe towards Monch

and this is a view to the south over the glacier, so it must be right there…

I reckon it must be here

This is from the restaurant webcam, showing what must be Monch in the background

If that’s so, I will re-render the video. Can’t have errors in there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Or is it for a 777 at a stand in Heathrow?

Of course, I guess there are load of SIDs that finishes into en-route CAS then ok from LHR to JFR
A PA28 should get the same clerance from Stansted

At Southend, there are no SIDs, so even an A320 will only get “contact Thames after departure”

Last Edited by Ibra at 29 Mar 16:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

yes! The red arrow is pointing right at it.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 29 Mar 17:10
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

WOW I would have never spotted it. This is from an original 1920×1080 frame, 2:1 zoom-in and interpolated. Amazing how they got the railway tunnel ending up at exactly the right place.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

But also I had Swiss ATC pressing me to fly into the mountains, which was a distraction.
Yes, that is normal unfortunately. The Swiss are very strickt on their airspace Charlie. When the military is active, it feels almost as a kind of class Alpha as VFR-traffic is not much liked to be seen there. The same applies even more for the class C TMA of Zurich and Geneva.

At least Geneva and Zurich could “identify” you directly. Normally, they don’t have a clue of VFR-only flight plans, so you need to pass all the flight details over and over again, as Geneva and Zurich also don’t share their details from VFR-flights.

Peter wrote:
Yes, of course you are right, it is easy if you are a “local” You probably skied down one of them
Actually, I’ve skied in the Jungfrau Region just a few days ago. It’s always very nice to ski there, even though the ski area (especially Grindelwald) is quite crowded on weekends, but during the week it’s really good. Nevertheless, you had the Eiger long in sight before entering the Alps. The famous “Nordwand” is clearly visable for a long amount of time in your video.
Last Edited by Frans at 29 Mar 21:42
Switzerland

Pirho wrote:

Not to disrupt the excellent trip report, but do you have a source for this? It is by far and away the most common clearance we get in the the UK… “Cleared to XXXX via the ABC1A departure, climb FL60, squawk 1234”.

If one were to get pendantic about the actual words used, perhaps it is “as filed” that specifically causes a problem in the UK environment?

If Scilly Isles told @Peter that he was “cleared to EGKA as filed” then if there was a bust after ATC dumped him into Class G he could produce the recording and argue that he had been cleared to fly the whole route and that clearance had never been withdrawn.

On the other hand just “cleared to EGKA” could be interpreted as closer to “cleared to leave the ATZ to the east and continue with your intentions, subject to the usual rules….”

EGLM & EGTN

arj1 wrote:

Where did you hear that? Tried to find it in the CAS join recordings I hear on Youtube, no luck.
Or is it for a 777 at a stand in Heathrow? That is a different world…

It’s not particularly relevant if discussing whether it is specifically banned in the UK. The answer though is both commercial and light GA.

Graham wrote:

If one were to get pendantic about the actual words used, perhaps it is “as filed” that specifically causes a problem in the UK environment?

Possibly! I follow your logic about the difference between “as filed” and “cleared to xyz”, but I am not sure I agree as even with ‘cleared to xyz’ the clearance limit effectively is your destination. Really this all comes about because of the rubbish system in the UK which leaves pilots in the lurch at inopportune moments. Any other country I have flown in I wouldn’t even question that with either form of clearance, I had what I needed.

United Kingdom

just “cleared to EGKA” could be interpreted as closer to “cleared to leave the ATZ to the east and continue with your intentions, subject to the usual rules….”

IMHO not, given I had filed a flight plan so “cleared to EGKA” could mean only “cleared to EGKA via FP route”.

I’ve skied in the Jungfrau Region just a few days ago

I’ve been there too but at my level (beginner/intermediate perhaps) the scenery far exceeds the skiing One has to “do” these places (same with Zermatt, Courchevel, etc) because everybody talks about them, but for great skiing, which includes the ability to be right at the front of the lift queue when it opens and then getting several hours of really great runs, I would do the Dolomites every time.

The Swiss are very strickt on their airspace Charlie

Evidently, it varies. Maybe below FL130 one can do it more easily but much of the terrain is then above you, and you can’t film any summits Also (a) I told them the plan at least half an hour beforehand (b) they had my flight plan, and obviously realised what I was doing.

It is a risk one takes with VFR (which is why I almost never do VFR outside of very simple flights in UK Class G, and even then only with extreme caution for reasons well discussed) and it worked out ok.

The section of the video showing the restaurant has been duly corrected, re-rendered overnight (takes ~6hrs) and re-uploaded

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I’ve been there too but at my level (beginner/intermediate perhaps) the scenery far exceeds the skiing One has to “do” these places (same with Zermatt, Courchevel, etc) because everybody talks about them, but for great skiing, which includes the ability to be right at the front of the lift queue when it opens and then getting several hours of really great runs, I would do the Dolomites every time.
Although I really like the Dolomites (both skiing and nature), I prefer Zermatt every time also skiing wise. It has so much different kind of slopes to offer, it never gets old. With the new “Kumme” gondola, the area around the Rothorn is even more attractive. The only “problem” with Zermatt is the quite long trip to get there, at least when you want to visit it from the Swiss side, but that also results in less crowds, as most of the people don’t like this long trip and will remain in the Jungfrau Region or 4 Vallées. In years without Covid, for sure Zermatt is easily accesible via the Italian side (both Cervinia and Valtournenche). Regarding the Jungfrau Region, also this ski area is extremely “upgraded” since this season with the new “V-Bahn” from Grindelwald-Terminal. Nevertheless, I can imagine that the slopes in the Dolomites are a bit more friendly for intermediate skiers. Italian and especially Austrian ski resorts try to make their slopes with a even gradient. Swiss slopes are more “natural” with uneven gradients, and therefore often a bit more difficult.

Peter wrote:
Maybe below FL130 one can do it more easily but much of the terrain is then above you, and you can’t film any summits
Yes, well, the Swiss Alps are airspace Echo below FL130, so you won’t face so much restrictions there, except for maybe some activated restricted areas. When the military is not active, airspace Echo goes even up to FL150. CTR’s in the Alps like Meiringen or Sion are never a problem, the clearance to cross is more or less just an “administrative act”. Even crossing the Zurich CTR is mostly possible, the Swiss are just very restrictive on their “holy” class C. The rest is easy.
Last Edited by Frans at 30 Mar 14:44
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message