Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip from Shoreham EGKA to Kirkbride EG37/EG60 and Glenswinton in Scotland

This looks like a beautifully scenic route and destination… and I thank you for putting together the report.

Jacko’s Jodel looks really nice in the photo too, and I am jealous of the flight to a short, remote runway in that plane. I’d like to experience it, having never flown in a Jodel. Interesting too that both planes are French manufactured.

Can anybody say where the triangular castle in ruins is located, and its name? I would like to see that on the ground and have a trip in the area ‘on my list’

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Sep 16:18

Even much more so if there is weather to avoid…

That is a much bigger thing than might appear. For example in France – arguably the place with the most joined-up ATC, despite impenetrably complex CAS structures in places – VFR is totally banned over a large chunk of France above FL115.

Can anybody say where the triangular castle in ruins is located, and its name?

@jacko will know for sure. I don’t even have a GPS track for that flight, as I wasn’t navigating

Departure video from Kirkbride

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Glad you had a good trip up, Glenswinton is an absolute gem of an airstrip and certainly one of the more interesting approaches in the UK.

Silvaire, I believe it is Caerlaverock Castle

Stunning photos, very beautiful countryside. Whatever you meant by final – I didn’t see a runway (just how I like it).

always learning
LO__, Austria

The Cumbrian hills looks weird in the first few pictures. I wonder about their geology…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Glad to see our leader now take trips to the far north
Amazing pictures, you should sell them to whatever tourism board there are up there. Isn’t this lake district ?

Hope to do this trip one day

LFOU, France

I’ve been further north before e.g.

Currently, Oban has no avgas and until very recently it was “officially” shut to all but based pilots.

On a good day, Scotland has great scenery.

Kirkbride is an excellent gateway to Scotland.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Off_Field wrote:

Silvaire, I believe it is Caerlaverock Castle

Thanks!

Interesting too that both planes are French manufactured.

Actually, this particular cagette was constructed in Yorkshire but you’re right that it was designed in the land of our traditional and natural enemies

How long was that strip at Glenswinton?

It is 1,400 feet long, but equivalent to a >1,700 ft flat runway due to the slope. I think @Joe-fbs has written an X-Plane add-on so y’all can practice without the cost/inconvenience of using the “arrester trees” at the north end of the runway.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

this trip would have been no problem VFR in any country with a proper airspace structure and unified ATC/FIS. Sorry for once again “slagging off” the UK

Actually, it’s really no sweat VFR with or without an IMC rating. From the Home Counties, we usually go up the east coast to Yorkshire and then hang a half left towards the Solway Firth. That route is mostly Class G up to FL125, and usually better weather than the west.

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Sep 21:51
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message