Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip from Shoreham EGKA to Kirkbride EG37/EG60 and Glenswinton in Scotland

Love these write-ups (and the arrester humor ;-)j

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Great scenery and instructive content. Keep them coming !

LFOU, France

Nice trip. I would very much like to visit Scotland and especially the Isle of Skye, referenced in another thread, but looking at the temps, it will probably be next year.

LPFR, Poland

A video of the flight Shoreham to Kirkbride

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s remarkable how fast the aircraft stops when there is a upward slope (and how important it is to keep it rolling)

Indeed. On planet earth a typical light aeroplane touching down at, say, 40 knots has roughly enough kinetic energy to coast up a runway slope of 65 feet in height, before accounting for any braking or drag.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the UK CAA advises us to ignore this effect.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Wonderful report, thanks a bunch.

Pity to see how many unused runways there are in the UK, which could be very useful for GA, if only someone could be interested to run small parts of them as GA airfields.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Jacko wrote:

so y’all can practice without the cost/inconvenience of using the “arrester trees” at the north end of the runway.

There is a similar one close by my place. It’s 500 m and got a nice sheep netting fence and an electric wire as “arrester equipment” It’s remarkable how fast the aircraft stops when there is a upward slope (and how important it is to keep it rolling )

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

this trip would have been no problem VFR in any country with a proper airspace structure and unified ATC/FIS. Sorry for once again “slagging off” the UK

Actually, it’s really no sweat VFR with or without an IMC rating. From the Home Counties, we usually go up the east coast to Yorkshire and then hang a half left towards the Solway Firth. That route is mostly Class G up to FL125, and usually better weather than the west.

Last Edited by Jacko at 20 Sep 21:51

Interesting too that both planes are French manufactured.

Actually, this particular cagette was constructed in Yorkshire but you’re right that it was designed in the land of our traditional and natural enemies

How long was that strip at Glenswinton?

It is 1,400 feet long, but equivalent to a >1,700 ft flat runway due to the slope. I think @Joe-fbs has written an X-Plane add-on so y’all can practice without the cost/inconvenience of using the “arrester trees” at the north end of the runway.

Off_Field wrote:

Silvaire, I believe it is Caerlaverock Castle

Thanks!

27 Posts
Sign in to add your message