Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy - why so difficult?

Peter wrote:

PPR implies the place is manned, so it isn’t just some grass strip where one can drop in.

Lots of unmanned airports and – yes grass strips – have PPR! Why should they not be able to?

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 01 Sep 06:21
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

If there is nobody there, and nobody picking up emails etc, how do you get PPR?

Basically you end up on a runaround… It’s a common problem.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Web forms, e-mail (you don’t have to physically be at the airport to handle e-mail), mobile phone number to someone responsible. It’s really not difficult at all and lots of places do it.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Basically you end up on a runaround… It’s a common problem.

I thought a lot (most?) of the private grass strips in the UK were PPR. Is that wrong, or how does it work there if not by email or phone?

LSZK, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

That, however, is simply not the way the system is supposed to work. The required info is supposed to be in the AIP, and anything else is supposed to be notamed.

Dream on. You go on to confirm that as a general rule, this simply doesn’t work. That “system” is broken when applied across Europe as a whole. Any pilot who flies internationally in Europe knows that several countries’ AIPs are hopelessly out of date. It’s been discussed here to death that using the AIP/NOTAM exclusively is a good way to either get stuck somewhere or worse, end up with a legal issue. Some countries are fine. Others are definitely not.

Last Edited by chflyer at 01 Sep 09:20
LSZK, Switzerland

Actually, I don’t mind the small grass strips having PPR, since I would usually call anyway to check runway conditions and other practicalities.

It bothers me a lot more when the bigger airports, such as Visby (ESSV) have PPR for flights outside of ATS opening hours, especially when you need to call the airport admin during office hours to request it.

ESSL, Sweden

Dream on. You go on to confirm that as a general rule, this simply doesn’t work

That is why it is worth getting the IR, and using it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dahlbeck wrote:

since I would usually call anyway to check runway conditions and other practicalities

I already had my part landing on a closed grass strip which was closed for a very good reason. It was so wet that water was standing on it. On the very short rollout I was smart enough to shutoff the engine, and when we came to halt the nosewheel broke through the grass and was about 25 cm down (no damage to the aircraft). This was with a microlight, so the weight on the nosewheel isn’t really so high. So I just lifted it out the hole by hand and we found a way where grass was not so wet to roll to a concrete surface.

After that experience, I now do contact any airfield regardless of it’s size prior to my arrival just in case. You know, I do think that if airfield was closed they would tell me. So it’s a win-win situation, isn’t it? Compared to the amount of time involved in weather and trip preparation, writing a short email or phoning and asking, e.g., whether fuel will be available or stuff like that, isn’t really worth noting, in the end.

Last Edited by UdoR at 01 Sep 09:46
Germany

chflyer wrote:

I thought a lot (most?) of the private grass strips in the UK were PPR. Is that wrong, or how does it work there if not by email or phone?

PPR => phone number to call, you get instant permission
PNR => emails & webforms, you have done your job

Now PPR with no phone number gets tricky: I send email or webform 3 days in advance, if no one replies, I take fuel & food and fly
So far only one guy got pissed and we left his place, he should have replied on email that we are not welcome…

Last Edited by Ibra at 01 Sep 10:03
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That is why it is worth getting the IR, and using it

Trying to do that, but all that VFR flight preparation for those great flights consumes so much time, that advancing with the IR gets difficult (seems closely related to this )

Germany
Sign in to add your message