Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Sardinia - tips?

Still the same. As always, it depends a bit on the number of pax. But generally speaking, about 100€ with one night of parking for a two-ton aircraft, and a tenner more per night of extra parking.

The best bit about Olbia ist not really the pompous GAT (what does one do with it, after all), but the fact that they have a lot of extra GA parking on the remote ramp and that they are doing a good friendly service also for small GA aircraft. Plus, the do have Avgas, even if it is expensive and it is always a long wait.

The Olbia trip which wrote up is here, and although this is now 7 years old, it has a lot of still valid tips on places to visit in the Costa Smeralda.

Just note that Sardinia is hooving in July and August, and pretty much dead all the rest of the year. In the above case, the very last few days of August were a good compromise.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Next fly-in in Olbia ?

LFOU, France

Hi! Have been to Sardinia twice in September.

• San Teodoro
  • Platamona worth a visit.
  • Tortolì-Arbatax ex airport: the runway ends directly on the beach! But it’s not allowed to GA right now, only ultralights.

https://goo.gl/maps/uFsNEydwzYQuxaFN8
Ask Aerclub Ogliastra for more info and permission.

Portugal

Predator wrote:

Tortolì-Arbatax ex airport: the runway ends directly on the beach! But it’s not allowed to GA right now, only ultralights.

There’s a separate thread somewhere on EuroGA that covers that situation, for anybody who may have an interest. I bet it would be really fun to fly an Italian style ultralight from that airport. We stayed nearby at the Hotel La Bitta four years ago. FWIW overpriced, menu food but OK. There are probably better choices.

Alghero is a nice destination and I’d recommend it.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 25 Aug 18:27

Predator wrote:

Ask Aerclub Ogliastra for more info and permission.

I contacted them, would be nice for a short visit.

EBMO, EBKT

I’m back from a very nice holiday in Sardinia, we visited the NW and NE sides. I’ll post a full report later today or this week.
Special thanks to @LFHNflightstudent for the tips/contacts for our stay in Alghero.

Route (All VFR)
Day 1: EBMO – Macon – Gap
Day 2: Gap – Propriano – San Teodoro
Day 8: San Teodoro – Alghero
Day 11: Algehro – Macon – EBMO

I need to check how much time the full trip took, but the return flight Alghero – EBMO was exactly 5h15m burning a total of just 89 liters.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-jhsb#29126191
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/f-jhsb#2913031c

Last Edited by jvdo at 09 Sep 12:54
EBMO, EBKT

Day 1: First flight departed under a grey Belgian / French sky, with some showers here and there. Only in Macon everything started to open up. I planned the stop in Macon because they have 24/7 Avgas available with a Total card. Also it would be a great place to check the weather for the short flight to Gap Tallard over the foothills of the Alps. I picked Gap Tallard as a night stop because I knew there was a hotel next to the airport, so it wouldn’t be to much hassle. We walked to Tallard to get dinner in the evening.

Passing Lyon, a very nice city to visit.

Loverly views on route to Gap-Tallard.

Day 2:
The weather was great for our flight to Sardinia, we decided to stop at Propriano around noontime, because I knew there was a good restaurant. A perfect stop to stretch the legs. I have never left the airport of Propriano before to explore the area, that will be something for a later trip. At Propriano we met Jean Sebastian from Easy2Fly a well known Youtube channel in France for Ultralight pilots. JSeb was doing a trip with is his daughter around France and Sardinia: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzhf8MVWZMDHaPi3b-YnaA

Saint Tropez area from FL95

The visibility was great, way better than earlier crossings I did, we could see Corisa from very far away. When flying back we could only see the French mainland with 10min to go.

Joining downwind Propriano (Shot on my Gopro)

Parked next to a WT9 colleague.

From Propriano we flew to San Teodoro a nice aviosuperfecie in Sarinia. Only a short flight but sooo many nice views.

Figari asked me to stay very low to cross the CTR for departing traffic, no problem for us, we got a great view of Bonifacio:

Isola Razzoli

Overhead San Teodoro, the airfield is in the right bottom corner of the picture (grabbed from a Gorpro video):

Joining downwind for San Teodoro. The well known La Cinta beach:

Very nice airfield, owned by Salvatore who is here every day. He had Mogas available, which was great, since Alghero has no fuel.

We were not alone:

We rented a car and stayed a few days in the Budoni area, visiting Budoni, San Teodoro, Olbia, beaches & took the ferry to for one day. We had a great time time but we had to adapt a little bit to the Italian way, meaning everything is closed all afternoon and the small towns only open up around 6PM until midnight.
There is not so much to do, most people come for the great beaches, but other than that, there is not so much to do. It’s really a destination to relax, if you like a city with lot’s of shops, bars and restaurants, this is not for you.

Picture from the top of “Castello Della Flava”

At La Maddalena

I wanted to go flying for 1 day around Sardinia, for example to Tortoli, but in the end I didn’t do it. Mainly because the days I wanted to do this there where some thunderstorms around and I decided it wasn’t worth the hassle. However JSeb visited Tortoli, the people were very friendly, and it was not a problem to visit it by ultralight.

After a few days we decided to fly to Alghero, some people told me it was very nice, and way better than the NE area.
I contacted handling, got a response within 15min and all was ok.

Ready for the flight to Alghero.

Salvatore, the owner of San Teodoro airfield told us it’s very turbulent inland when the wind is from the N-NW. I wanted to follow the coastline anyway for the views, so that’s what we did.

The service at Alghero is top notch and the pricing is very good. By the time we got out of the plane somebody was waiting to drive us to the terminal.
A few minutes later we had a taxi and for 25 Euro’s we where at out appartement in the center.

Final at Alghero:

Parking, more than big enough :)

Alghero was super nice, we enjoyed this city a low more than the San Teodoro area, but of course this can be different for you.
This place is full of bars and restaurants and they are many things to do. In italy you can rent boats up to 40HP without a license, I never rented one before, now we did and I didn’t regret for one second. What a great day! If only this was allowed in Croatia.

The old town of Alghero:

The return flight was uneventful, perfect service from the handeling at Alghero. We paid about 37 Euro (Sunday at noon till Wednesday morning). Note there is no fuel available. Lukily we added some fuel in San Teodoro, so I had 80 liters (out of 100) available, more than enough for our flight.

Departure via one of the VFR exitpoints. I always file routes using IFR points, this makes life a lot easier.
After take off from Alghere direct POULP and than direct LONSU (as you can see on the picture I had more points on my flightplan, but they cleared me direct LONSU).

Reaching the mainland:

Some nice forecasted winds in the Rhône Valley

A quick stop at Macon for lunch (no landing fee if you eat lunch at the airport BTW)

And from Macon just a 2h flight home, with the usual views:

In total 5h15 for the return flight, my wife viewed about 5 netflix episodes :)

A great trip, thanks EuroGA for all the tips!

Last Edited by jvdo at 09 Sep 13:56
EBMO, EBKT

Looks like you had a great time!
I need to get out more.

United Kingdom

Wow nice pictures, I love the “300kts GS” can you remove those units ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 09 Sep 16:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Wow nice pictures, I love the “300kts GS” can you remove those units ?

Haha, it would be nice if it was in kts. This plane is in KPH since the co-owner likes this. I fly planes in KTS, MPH and KPH, I don’t care anymore, just fly the correct number :)

Last Edited by jvdo at 09 Sep 16:57
EBMO, EBKT
Sign in to add your message