Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Socata TB meet-up Lee on Solent EGHF UK 20th Aug 2022

Ibra wrote:

I imagine you got dumped at Goodwood VOR rather than routing to Southampton VOR?

My actual route was off the coast via mostly vectors, which was even better because the scenery was great:

Great trip, that shinny TB is flying all over the place now !

Yes really enjoying it! Will be even better when I get the GI-275s installed, because I’m living with a partially functioning King HSI right now and only HDG mode on my AP.

EHRD, Netherlands

What do you mean by GAR doing both ways ?

When Peter does the same trip, it looks like a nightmare. One gets lost in these pireps sometimes

LFOU, France

My actual route was off the coast via mostly vectors, which was even better because the scenery was great:

If you flew that route outside the “London Control system” i.e. below 5500ft, you would have got busted for that prohibited area (see my earlier post) near SFD

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

What do you mean by GAR doing both ways ?

You need a Gendec form to enter/exit Schengen and a GAR form to enter/exit the UK. Sounds complicated, but it isn’t. You go to gendec.eu and fill one form that takes a minute or so to complete (registration, pilot/passenger info, departure info, arrival info), and that process generates both your Gendec and your GAR and sends them to the appropriate authorities. Said authorities then either meet you at the field, call you to give you the ok, or don’t show up at all. Otherwise you do your regular flight plan, PPR, etc.

it looks like a nightmare. One gets lost in these pireps sometimes

I don’t know that it’s Peter or anyone specific, but I do notice a general tendency to overcomplicate a lot of this stuff, to the point that people become afraid to just do it. I have a different mentality I guess. I wanted to go there, so I figured it out and did it. And like most things, it wasn’t that complicated once I’d done it.

EHRD, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

If you flew that route outside the “London Control system” i.e. below 5500ft, you would have got busted for that prohibited area (see my earlier post) near SFD

On my flight back I went VFR to the channel, and I routed north of that area.

EHRD, Netherlands

The UK is actually easy in terms of paperwork. Just the GAR, and in theory PPR (phone call does it). I am always trying to get people to come here I think the biggest thing is that pilots who are used to never leaving schengen just don’t like to ever leave schengen. It’s always been the case…

On the mainland, some countries need a “GAR” too, notably Belgium whose form is much worse than the UK one.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I think the biggest thing is that pilots who are used to never leaving schengen just don’t like to ever leave schengen. It’s always been the case…

Yes I would agree. It’s the same everywhere. During training people fly in the same area except for a couple short XC trips, and it becomes their entire world. I’ve seen so many pilots get stuck in this, or their club makes it difficult to do anything more than local flying (the NL clubs certainly are like this). I hope posting the trip reports here inspires people to do more, but I also think your typical EuroGA user is less likely to fall into the “punching holes in the sky” category. Of course there are probably lots of people who read and never post…

On the mainland, some countries need a “GAR” too, notably Belgium whose form is much worse than the UK one.

You can use gendec.eu to simultaneously create a GAR + gendec form for any Schengen country. It’s pretty painless, because it will keep track of your aircraft and passenger details, so subsequent forms are really easy.

EHRD, Netherlands

Even to replace the Belgian GAR site, and has this been tested for Belgium?

Administrator

EHRD, Netherlands

According to their website, this capability (creating any formalities in say Belgium, Germany, France for flying to or from the UK) is not supported:

(That note below merely says that the site can be used for other than UK-NL or NL-UK flights, but going by the paragraphs above, it will not accomplish any Schengen border crossing requirements in countries like Belgium, France, Germany, etc.)

Anyway, poor wording there. The data entry mask above could lead people to believe that this will accomplish the Belgian requirements…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Aug 08:24
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message