Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The fun of flying: easy ground logistics?

Ultranomad wrote:

Hotel Hangelar is 800 m away.

Can confirm, my parents where there as recently as August (by car though), Hotel was reported to be clean and nice although nothing fancy.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Amsterdam Schiphol (almost miss typed ), London bigs, Madrid Barajas, Milan Malpensa, and many more, hope you get the idea…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

B-
Quiberon
Empuriabrava
Lido

United Kingdom

LOWG
Rentals on site
Hotels within minutes
Taxis on site
Train within minutes

always learning
LO__, Austria

B
EDWQ Ganderkesee Hotel at the airfield.

EDWF, Germany

LFQA has (had?) rooms on site, but I knew the pilot of a based plane that would rather avoid them and rather sleep in the city.

EHTX and EHTE have hotel on site. EHTX also has car rental on site.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

EHTX also has car rental on site.

However the number of cars they have is limited, although the Twizzy was remarkably good fun – even though at the end of the day I was wondering whether I would reach the airport or would I have to pull / push it back to the field….

EDL*, Germany

Amsterdam Schiphol (almost miss typed  ), London bigs, Madrid Barajas, Milan Malpensa, and many more, hope you get the idea

More referring to GA ones? I think one advantage of Schiphol like (not idea how you spell it) is that you get Starbucks coffee after landing

Last Edited by Ibra at 14 Oct 07:14
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

A and B:
– ENVA: 2 hotels less than 800m from the main security gate (where you would be dropped at if landing by GA) and car rentals in the main terminal
– ENBO: the city center is about 20 minutes walk from the airport.
A:
– ENMO: the owner of the field has some cabins (hytter) that you can rent.

ENVA, Norway

I think the idea of Ibra is a bit of a nonsense, at least concerning hotels near airports to “avoid” taxis.

After all, we are flying not to visit hotels (or at least only very rarely), and then, it’s usually not “airport type” hotels. We usually fly to visit cities, events, museums, people, etc.

Now, one could argue that after a long and hard days’ flying (but is it usually really that long and hard??) one first just wants to “crash” into some hotel, get a night’s sleep, and then do one’s program the next day. But even that doesn’t make much sense to me. At the very least, on these days, one wants to go out for dinner somewhere nice (and not have it at a sterile airport hotel). So, the issue of getting into town (or whereever) is still there and must be solved right after arrival at the airport anyway.

I have found that this has rather become easier than more difficult in recent years. Reasons:

• in general, public transport is rather improving. Also, one nowadays has public transport timetables and routes right at your hand these days (google maps), etc.
  • UBER has been a game changer. No more trying to explain to some illiterate where excatly you are and where you want to go. Monitoring the arrival of the car is possible and reassuring. Costs are lower than taxis, too.
  • in some places, even for classic taxis, apps exist and make it an UBER-like experience.
  • foldable bikes are an option
  • some airports have bikesharing stations these days

Sure, in some cases, taxis are problematic (unavailable, unreliable, unsafe, or expensive), but in my experience, that is still rather the exception than the rule. Part of life.
Would be interesting to hear what “negative” experiences Ibra has had exactly and where.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message