Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EGPU Tiree Trip Report April 2023

Thanks for taking us with you šŸ˜€ One day weā€™ll fly to a few of these places for sure!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thanks for sharing this, what great travel inspiration!

EHTE, Netherlands

ā€œI can see my house from up here!ā€

The Nendrum Monastery photo, small house on the bottom edge of the photo (the rightmost one ā€“ is rightmost a word?)

We lived there 25 years ago, when I was working for Jersey European on the F27 out of Belfast City. The cottage was rented from friends of my parents, all four sadly no longer with usā€¦the upper house on the left edge of the frame was my Godfather (also long gone).

Our son (now 26) was in his pram on the front porch and I glanced out to see the biggest rat Iā€™d ever seen sitting there looking up hungrily. They were a bit of a nuisance, climbing in open windows to eat soap, chewing through the windscreen washer hoses on the exā€™s Fiesta, and even chewing through her fuel line too.

Apart from that it was a great place, wild in the winter. Got cut off once or twice when high spring tides coincided with southerly gales and the causeways were flooded. The aforementioned Fiesta finally gave up after the ex drove through what she called a puddle, conked out and had to be pulled out by tractor. Closer inspection revealed that the puddle was more like an arm of the oceanā€¦

Weā€™re now in Scotland, and I get to fly around the whole place with work. Last monthā€™s logbook includes Oban, Barra, Islay, Glenforsa, Campbeltown, Arran, Fort William. I get a bit blase about the scenery after so longā€¦so itā€™s nice to read about it through a fresh set of eyes.

Great trip report! Thanks. It should inspire more people to visit.

United Kingdom

Thank you all for the comments. To answer a few questions / points raised.

Peter wrote:

How far did you have to talk to set up the tent?

I hiked about 8km to the camp spot. There are plenty of places to camp much closer, but I like to try to get off the beaten track and away from passing traffic (road traffic and foot traffic). Obviously I wouldnā€™t do that with someone who wasnā€™t used to hiking and camping. 8km is a lot with all your camping gear on your back if you arenā€™t used to it (and really into it!)

Peter wrote:

What is seawater like for tea or coffee?

Thatā€™s fresh water. It was a small pond/stream from some of the scrub land/wet land. I use a MSR Guardian filter to filter my water. It removes everything with a size bigger then 0.02 microns, which is enough to remove all bacteria, protozoa and viruses. What it wonā€™t remove is heavy metals or chemicals, so itā€™s important to get your water close enough to the source to be before any chemical spills. Thatā€™s not usually a problem for me as I then to hike in the mountains. This pond was effectively from rainfall / water table and hadnā€™t flowed far.

You canā€™t use these filters with sea water, as it quickly blocks up the fibers of the filter.
MSR Guardian

There are cheaper and lighter filters available, but this one is very good and provides more protection than most. Iā€™m happy to pay more in price and weight rather than compromise on the filtering ability. (Most cheaper filters donā€™t filter for viruses as they donā€™t then to be an issue in water in North America or Europe).

alioth wrote:

I believe that thereā€™s no advance notification required from Prestwick (thereā€™s a number of Police notified airports where advance notice isnā€™t required ā€“ IIRC, from southern Scotland into NW England you have at least Prestwick, Carlisle and Blackpool).

Quite possibly. Iā€™ve not been to Prestwick. I seem to remember something about needing to sort handling with the aero club? Maybe thatā€™s changed now. But itā€™s not the sort of thing I want to be trying to organise at the last minute if the weather was worse than expected. So I take the easy approach and just plan go to Oban which I know If Iā€™d been to Prestwick before and knew the proceedure, I might choose differently.

Capitaine wrote:

Is it worth flying with say 2 Ɨ 20 litre jerrycans of avgas in the back?

I wonder would that be legal? Even if it is, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be comfortable with it. Too many considerations (fumes, temperature, static electricity etc) that I donā€™t know the answers to. They are probably all possible to solve, but Iā€™d be concerned about the ā€œunknown unknownsā€

Russell wrote:

ā€œI can see my house from up here!ā€

Brilliant! It just shows the reach of our community. Take a few photos and someone pops up ā€œThatā€™s my house!ā€ Are you flying helis or is there a runway at Fort William?

Capitaine wrote:

Those are good photos for a phone, especially the lighthouse ones. Dublinpilotā€™s trips are coffee table book material

Thank you! I really liked the lighthouse ones too. Though I always feel uncomfortable out to sea and then especially so when dropping down low to get those photos so far from shore. Iā€™m not a comfortable cross water pilot! But living on an island (and not able to afford a twin!) I just have to get over it

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

I wonder would that be legal?

Probably not. I ahem know someone who did it when Crossland Moorā€™s fuel was out of action, and he didnā€™t yet have the aux tank. Also someone who used to ferry a bunch of them in the back of a Cherokee 235 (who said to me once ā€œI donā€™t mind carrying the fuel, I know what it weighs, itā€™s the crates of lobsters I donā€™t so I donā€™t want too many of them as the CAA will ask questions if I crash off the end of the runwayā€). I was thinking the CAA wouldnā€™t be able to ask the charred cinders very much! Surprisingly, that pilot died of natural causes, despite always sailing very close to the wind on anything he did flying.

Andreas IOM

dublinpilot wrote:

I wonder would that [flying with say 2 Ɨ 20 litre jerrycans of avgas in the back] be legal? Even if it is, Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d be comfortable with it. Too many considerations (fumes, temperature, static electricity etc) that I donā€™t know the answers to. They are probably all possible to solve, but Iā€™d be concerned about the ā€œunknown unknownsā€

According to the NCO.GEN.140(f) and its AMC and GM, it is legal to carry fuel for the purpose of refueling at an airports where fuel is not available.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

dublinpilot wrote:

Brilliant! It just shows the reach of our community. Take a few photos and someone pops up ā€œThatā€™s my house!ā€ Are you flying helis or is there a runway at Fort William?

EC 135 helicopter (ambulance)

United Kingdom

I spoke too soon! Our landlady from the cottage by Nendrum is still alive.
My sister visited her last weekā€¦92 and still going strong ( the landlady, not my sister šŸ¤£)

United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message