Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Istanbul LTBA

10 Posts

Hello,
I would like to fly to Istanbul LTBA (IFR). I read the AIP and I do not see any special requirement, but maybe I missed some important information.
I would love any tips or feedback on this airport.

Thanks in advance

Last Edited by aquila at 23 Jul 10:09
LIAP / LIBP, Italy

Turkey is kind of complicated for GA flying and in my limited experience I’ve always used a friend local pilot to obtain me necessary flight permissions. AFAIK VFR is allowed only if you have Turkish speaking pilot/FO on board.

LTBA is big airport and, since opening of LFTM, it’s dedicated to cargo and GA but I’ve never landed there because it always looked like too much hassle. Although it’s not specified in AIP, I believe handling is mandatory and handlers’ contacts are not easy to find.

Try to contact TAV, Bilen Air Service, Gozen Air Istanbul or Jetmate Aviation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My visit was in – wow – 2008, when it was still a super-busy airline airport. Flying-wise, it was excellent, with fantastic ATC. The ground handling (we used the thieves of Gozen) was pretty good as well. Of course, it was expensive… about 400 Euros. So, under normal circumstances, it must be at least double that nowadays. Maybe more.

While I’m at it, a few teaser shots of the city.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

A search on Previous threads on Istanbul finds a lot of material.

I went there in 2009 (but not to the main airline airport) and it was possible only via local contacts obtaining a 4-digit code. My visit went very nicely, due to the wonderful local connections – the Istanbul aeroclub.

But plenty of others have done it with no support. Maybe @denopa or @sebastian_g? Somebody got sabotaged by sand in the fuel tanks, too. Turkey just seems to be an exercise in masochism, like most of the 3rd World. Of course many people specifically seek out adventures like that, but fluency in the language – French Africa being a popular destination – seems to be a key factor. Another thing I hear is that even within Turkey foreigners have to use airports with full customs/immigration, due to measures intended to keep a lid on artefact smuggling.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Another thing I hear is that even within Turkey foreigners have to use airports with full customs/immigration, due to measures intended to keep a lid on artefact smuggling.

I’ve never heard of this requirement. I flew to several smaller airfields with no problem.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Digging around, it seems to date to 9+ years ago, so may well not be current data.

@Nuccio also did a trip.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@aquila

Just came across a very recent report by a German pilot who fly there in Piper Arrow. It‘s about a thousand Euros, of which 500 is handling. Gozen is apparently the only agent there.
But you probably have these infos already.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, I finally made it to Istanbul LTBU Corlu which is about 1.5 hours drive (taking into account traffic) from Istanbul historical center. Car rental is available in town.
This has been possible thanks to a great Mooney owner and youtuber (youtube.com/@flysekomel).
All the handling companies quoted a basic 800€ fee + other expenses which would have resulted in more than 1200€ for 2 days based on their pricelist.
Then I “discovered” Sekomel on youtube while searching for tips on flying around Istanbul. He has been incredibly helpful. Not only he personnally called the avgas supplier, the airport authorities and introduced a private party to act as handler, but he even offred dinner to the whole family when we met in Istanbul! The handling and other expenses eventually cost me 200€ + 270€ in airport charges and I got a VVIP service upon arrival and departure!

LIAP / LIBP, Italy

The handling and other expenses eventually cost me 200€ + 270€ in airport charges and I got a VVIP service upon arrival and departure!

Comparing to European airports of that size and location, it’s a proper ripoff. I was to Çorlu many years ago when it was less than €50 fees airport, easy, friendly, no handling needed with Avgas readily available. But these days are obviously long gone past.

Last Edited by Emir at 24 Aug 06:52
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I agree, but Istanbul is worth a little sacrifice 🙂

LIAP / LIBP, Italy
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message