Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mali Losinj LDLO 11-13 August 2023

Great pictures, thanks for taking the time to post them.

Nice airport

If you look very carefully you can see our home!

Lots of shortcut potential and I got most of them; the deal was FL130

At least across Italy, we got directs all the way in both directions at FL110. In fact on the way out we were cleared direct CHI (east coast of Italy) before we even left French airspace, followed later by direct LABIN (Croatian border).

LFMD, France

A typical British GA reaction on FB

I am sure the guy was wearing his yellow jacket when typing that!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My way back was far less exciting…
Cycled to LDLO (matter of principle) in 45min.
Easy departure

Fuel stop in LJPZ (240L @2.41€/L)

Next stop LOWK, GA friendly airport with a nice lake nearby

Could be a nice location for a fly-in, too: Large apron and reasonable fees. Friendly team entry/exit through extra gate, not terminal.
Flight back the next day passed a few interesting formations enroute, but all in safe distance.

Landed in sunshine, though.

Thanks everyone, it was a great weekend.

EDM_, Germany

Thanks for the photos Peter and ch.ess. Really interesting writeup.

Peter wrote:

A typical British GA reaction on FB

If it makes you feel better, I’ll publicly admit to forgetting to check notams on my PPL checkride

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Cue NOTAM endangered species video. NOTAMs are truly absurd. Every time I want to fly from Cannes to Cuers (about 40 nm) I have to plough through dozens of the things about not overflying North Korea, 5 foot high fences 3 miles off the end of the runway at an airport I’m not going to, not flying Belorussian aircraft, interruptions to weather services 1000 miles away…

LFMD, France

On my JAA IR checkride I would have much preferred a VOR approach over an NDB approach, but EGHI had both. Luckily the NDB was notamed INOP so I got the easier one. I still made a bit of a hash of it

In the preflight briefing I told the examiner (a well known ex RAF – but very nice; looking at his last RAF job he had no reason to have a chip on his shoulder – CAA staffer) about this notam. He showed just a faint glimmer of surprise, for about 200ms, but I will never know if it was real

As we discussed before, the LFMT 3 days’ parking PN is outrageous. I’ve emailed them and told them that they are basically closing the airport to GA. Except, evidently, French pilots who just make a phone call and get the “Oui”

Administrator

Peter wrote:

they email you an invoice, which is harder for UK visitors because they get hit with a big bank fee for foreign payments

One word: Revolut. There is a free tier and the fees, if any, are reasonable. I believe the company itself is UK based, although in the EU they operate under a banking license from one of the Baltic countries.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

One word: Revolut. There is a free tier and the fees, if any, are reasonable. I believe the company itself is UK based, although in the EU they operate under a banking license from one of the Baltic countries.

Absolutely. Last month I had to make instant payment to account in UK and I did it with Revolut and money reached the other side within the minute. Same applies for practically any account in Europe for a very small fee. Plus superb exchange rates and no-charge cash at many ATMs across Europe. I told Peter to apply for Revolute to solve his credit card issues while travelling.

And last but not least the picture from one of our dinners.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Good pic – now who is going to work out who is who

The other stuff was well done in previous threads.

Administrator

The EuroGA fish destruction club :-)

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message