Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA to the Lofoten islands ...and then some!

Thank you so much for putting in the Herculean effort to write such a great report! I truly enjoyed following along.

Reading your stats at the end…..where you not tempted to add just one more tiny stop along the way, to clock over the 4000nm?!!??!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

to clock over the 4000nm

Thank you @dublinpilot! It would have been nice, yes. In fact in FPL-mode, our whole two-week vacation, including the unplanned 70nm Frankfurt Skyline bimble, was way over 4000NM.
However, in reality, we took advantage of every possible shortcut but one: on arrival to Roskilde due to wx.
The last flight Mainz to Palma was FPL’d for 730NM, but we actually flew 684NM.
Even looking at our first flight, Palma to Rendsburg, near Kiel, it would have been nice to clock 1000NM on our longest-ever flight. It was FPL’d for 1011NM. We actually flew 958NM.

There you have it: just with those two delta’s almost 100NM “gone”. Had we flown as planned just those two legs we would have clocked over 4026NM.

By now, however, a good family man like you has already realized this trip was about family+friends+GA, but in that order. There was no interest in beating any records or making any specific numbers. It was just about using GA to fulfill an important and personally as well as technically challenging long-range mission combining several very different types of flying in the most reasonably efficient, family- and environment-caring way.

In my grossly partial view GA excelled at that with honours.

In the meantime we can gladly defer to @Terbang, @Dan, @Niner_Mike, the RTW’ers and many others including their respective companions for the really impressive numbers…hats-off to them!

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Oct 15:19
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Capitaine wrote:

lost feeling after finishing a good book

Thank you both! But do not despair…the story is not over yet….I am trying to lure @AeroSteve into making another one of his excellent GAllywood productions about our Lofoten trip …maybe he will bite?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thanks Antonio for taking us with you. I really enjoyed each installment! I must confess that we are planning a trip to Norway for more than ten years now and never made it. Your report showed once again how big a mistake we make in not flying there. I really hope we’ll find an opportunity next year!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
……… maybe he will bite?

Always difficult to make a summary of an event you didn’t attend because you risk getting things out of context or in the wrong order. However, I’m willing to give it a go if you send me the raw material?

Steve
LFBA, France

PS The final (and I do mean final!) version of our Cerdanya trip is now on the LECD forum.

Steve
LFBA, France

AeroSteve wrote:

I’m willing to give it a go

That is too kind of an offer Steve. I’ll contact you separately.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Many thanks for sharing the saga. I know well that it takes an awful lot of time to compile a good write up, and yours is of course way over the top! All very inspiring material for me. It resonates well with my own rationale for flying, “mission profile” or whatever one wishes to call it :)

Last Edited by Mateusz at 17 Oct 19:20
EPKM, Poland

Thank you again Antonio to have shared with us your family holiday.
Hope your wife enjoyed it as well.

Please keep us posted of your next adventures

LFOU, France

Antonio wrote:

Steve
LFBA, France
Sign in to add your message