Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY April 17-20 2024

Snoopy wrote:

So you register before registering. What a f—-n mess!

I do think it makes some sense. There is a big rush when the slot allocation opens. Providing personal details in advance means that you don’t have to enter a lot of data at that time and also keeps down the server load.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They probably gave the contract back to the same outfit that struggles to run a website: AeroPS.

The challenge is that lots of pilots have loads of money so even if slots were sold for €100 there will be people who will purchase 10 slots. So some other way needs to be found, starting with making it aircraft reg specific. They did that. So what else? They could have done it so that e.g. on a given day D-reg can register, next day E*-reg can register, etc. They know the distribution of visitors from past years so could allocate it fairly well. N-reg will be a big group so maybe give them 2 days, etc. @Sebastian_G posted on this a year ago and the solutions are known.

All discussed in past years but this inept outfit obviously has “connections”, especially with the show organisers. They certainly do lots of marketing of their airport payment service – their stickers are even stuck on the door of the little food caravan at Shoreham Airport I ought to get them to distribute EuroGA leaflets – they can do that for sure

Server load should not be an issue. Bandwidth costs almost nothing now; the billing of virtual servers is done by the storage and CPU power, but this is a simple website.

Friday is the best time for most because there isn’t that much new stuff to see and you can do it all in one day, and most people are flying back on Saturday if not sooner. I will book the Felders restaurant as previously; it is very good, flexible and not too noisy

Posts moved to existing thread.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Server load should not be an issue.

Let’s say that I’m pretty disillusioned about the ability of “ticket sales” servers to hold up when tickets for very popular events are released.

That’s funny. Anybody clicked on the “privacy information” (it is below in the cookie popup) of the pre-registration input mask?

What does that mean, that they give a sh*t on my personal data? Or that the site is managed by 12 years old kids? Oh boy…

Last Edited by UdoR at 16 Feb 16:57
Germany

My latin has never been that great but I seem to decipher that it means ‘you wannabe airline pilots should be more clever and just fly to one of these lovely nearby fields without any hassle’.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Let’s say that I’m pretty disillusioned about the ability of “ticket sales” servers to hold up when tickets for very popular events are released.

Sure, but EDNY is not Abba in 1975. It is not even the New Seekers (need to be the right age for that one ). It is just a few k people creating probably no more traffic than EuroGA gets all the time.

That Latin text is what web development tools chuck into a template, as a filler. It is used because nobody can possibly be upset by it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Sure, but EDNY is not Abba in 1975. It is not even the New Seekers (need to be the right age for that one ). It is just a few k people creating probably no more traffic than EuroGA gets all the time.

Last time I requested a slot for EDNY, the website crashed when it was opened. Granted, that was two years ago and things may have improved.

As regards ABBA, even today large international ticket sellers like Ticketmaster have their websites crashing when releasing tickets for a tour of a major act like Rammstein. (Ask me how I know.)

Just today, I successfully bought AC/DC tickets online. Worked fine for me. But then there is of course much more money in the music industry than in the Aero fly-in business.

Side note: the tickets (standing room!) are 150€ each. Ouch. Still better than Adele prices…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Feb 19:51
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I successfully bought AC/DC tickets online.

From time to time it happens that some online ticketing service crashes due to huge interest but I must admit that it has been some time since I’ve heard such news. Aero slot booking systems throughout these years has been perfect example of sloppy programming and under-capacitated infrastructure.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

From time to time it happens that some online ticketing service crashes due to huge interest but I must admit that it has been some time since I’ve heard such news. Aero slot booking systems throughout these years has been perfect example of sloppy programming and under-capacitated infrastructure.

Having a customer in this business, what they tell me is that the main problem is not users trying to log in, but the bots trying to scoop up all the tickets so that they can resell them. Anti-bot technology is a typical cyber arms race. Doubt this has any impact on Aero, since I doubt there is a huge market for scalpers to sell landing slots.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message