Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen EDNY April 17-20 2024

I came to know that my home base EDMB (Biberach) would be officially an arrival/departure point for AERO 2024. Surely more details would be shortly published on the website EDMB

Last Edited by Arun at 16 Feb 22:47
EDMB, Germany

Aero slot booking systems throughout these years has been perfect example of sloppy programming and under-capacitated infrastructure.

I would say too much infrastructure. The entire booking system is unnecessary. Arguably the control tower is unnecessary. Yes I have flown in, 10 years ago. I doubt much has changed.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Feb 23:55

I came to know that my home base EDMB (Biberach) would be officially an arrival/departure point for AERO 2024. Surely more details would be shortly published on the website EDMB

Thank you @Arun. Looks like a nice field, be it VFR. Very good train connection to F’Hafen.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

Very good train connection to F’Hafen.

The airfield is currently in the process of arranging a shuttle to the train station. That would make it near ideal for many pilots who don’t want to deal with slots etc at EDNY.

EDMB, Germany

The expo is huge. The airport is huge. Every plane not landing at EDNY is proof of major failure on behalf of the organizers. An example of the european “artificially shrink brain to peanut size” problem so everything is “we can’t do that” category. S T U P I D!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Yes I agree. Also visitor numbers are very evidently about half of say 2008. But, as discussed before, it’s also fairly obvious that the airport doesn’t like the Expo so is not interested in helping much.

Fortunately the approach is done by the Swiss, and professionally, while the man in the EDNY tower is watching your GS on radar and tells you that you are about to stall and that only his prompt action prevented a crash (happened to me)

Will EDMB have customs and immigration? I don’t see it mentioned, but they do manage to promote the very cowboy outfit which is causing this trouble – Aerops

If not, then it is like so many other airports in S Germany.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Silvaire wrote:

The entire booking system is unnecessary.

I agree. Just set up a process like we have at Oshkosh. This is a solved problem, no need for slots and additional complications.

When the “Tannkosh” event was happening, there were a lot more aircraft flying into a small grass field, completely pilot-controlled. It was hairy, but it worked.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Snoopy wrote:

Every plane not landing at EDNY is proof of major failure on behalf of the organizers.

Very true in my case… though EDNY is only around 1/2 hour from my base, I won’t be going back by airplane anytime soon. I flew in 2007/2009/2010/2011 and then, as the slot reared its ugly head and started to develop into what it is now, only went by PT, if at all.
Along with all the big shows the Aero has lost most of its shine, and my main reason for a visit is the social side, as in meeting old and new friends.

Talking about Tannkosh (3 visits there), yes, it certainly was not safe… same as most big fly-ins around here, just some dangerous havoc, with slow ULs mixing in with faster traffic, from all directions and all altitudes…
The Oshkosh procedure is no panacea either, as they don’t make best use of multiple runways by having only one lined approach, and a ridiculous IAS of 90 knots @ 1’800ft, lest you can justify being a faster aircraft and use 135 knots @ 2’300ft if needed for safety of flight (as stated in the NOTICE 2023 and previous) on the same track, and then later mix-in with the slower traffic lane for the final approach. Oshkosh prides itself highly, but in reality could handle way more traffic by using its main parallel E-W runways with different approaches, one from the South the other one from the North, and segregated by speed attribution to either the southerly or northerly runway.

Back to the Aero, good luck for slot seekers, and hopefully see ya there

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Indeed it is largely a social thing, but that is how GA is. Not many new products each year.

I tend to combine it with a trip to Mali Losinj and some hiking/biking there. We could do a meetup there too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

a trip to Mali Losinj and some hiking/biking there. We could do a meetup there too

Sounds tempting @Peter

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message