Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zurich LSZH as a GA destination

Arrival Slot time is estimated on blocks time. For all practical purposes that is landing time. You have a tolerance of 15 mins before and after.

There is no extra fee if you are late, but you are supposed to call and move the slot if you can. Zürich Information can do this for you if you are airborne. Experience shows however that if you are not within the VFR ban time, they will accept you within reasonable time if the delay occurrs enroute.

No cancellation fee, just call them and tell them. Nice if you do it early so someone else can use the slot.

re 4: again the slot time is estimated off blocks time +-15 minutes. You call apron control 121.75 and advise them of your stand, your intention and your outbound route and quote the last ATIS. They will 99% of the time clear you to the holding point rwy 28 and, once you reach that, have you contact ZRH tower on 118.1 when ready for departure.

On arrival you will again 99% of the time land on 28 and be expected to vaccate to the left on either B or C. Once on ground, you’ll be instructed to contact Apron. You will be guided by a follow me.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

You don’t need a clearance or start-up for VFR.

Rush hours are roughly 6-9, 12-14 and 18-20 (local times). Outside of these times, the airport is pretty much deserted.

I was once told, I couldn’t get a slot at the desired time, earliest half an hour later. So I booked that slot, but happened to arrive half an hour early, roughly at the original desired time. They accepted me without asking any questions.

I also once diverted there without any booked slot, even that was no problem after explaining the situation to Zürich Info.

You need handling, though, and the most reasonable option for light GA is MFGZ

Last Edited by tomjnx at 10 Nov 06:31
LSZK, Switzerland

I just called meteobrussels and they expect today and tomorrow low visibility (3-5km) in zurich because of a front above the alps. So i think i have to cancel my flight to zurich and save it for an other day.

Thank you for the information!

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

So finally I’m flying to Zürich tomorrow! :-)

Coming with my girlfriend and going to be visiting friends for dinner on Friday evening, leaving possibly on Saturday afternoon.

@Mooney_Driver, do you happen to be around? Could maybe meet up for a bit, maybe even lunch on Sat? Do let me know!

Last Edited by Patrick at 10 Sep 18:09
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Hi Patrick,

yes, I am here, doing night shifts. You have a PM with my contact. Would love to see you.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Mooney Driver wrote:

99% of the time you will land on runway 28 and leave to the south (left), from there you will be guided to one of the GA Parkings

Just checking as I’m preparing a trip (IFR) next week to LSZH. In the AIP (section 2.4 Landing RWY) I read:

Expect the LDG RWY to be assigned as follows, weather permitting:

Weekdays
0500-0600 (0400-0500): RWY 34
0600-2000 (0500-1900): RWY 14
2000-0500 (1900-0400): RWY 28*

* RWY 34 can be requested for safety reasons, however, FLTs to RWY 28 have priority.

Is the text above only meant for the large commercial air traffic, or has anything changed at LSZH regarding runway usage? Is GA traffic handled differently than mentioned in the AIP?

Obviously I’ll listen in flight to ATIS what the actual situation is, but it’s good to have a clear understanding of the ‘normal’ procedures.

hfl
EHLE, Netherlands

hfl wrote:

Is the text above only meant for the large commercial air traffic, or has anything changed at LSZH regarding runway usage? Is GA traffic handled differently than mentioned in the AIP?

I have always landed 14 and departed 28.

EGTK Oxford

That is the standard for IFR traffic, certainly commercial but likely GA IFR too. VFR traffic is as per Mooney Driver’s comment. Landing/Departure on R28 unless wind dictates something else.

LSZK, Switzerland

A recommendation for MFGZ, and ZRH airport generally, having stopped en route between LOWZ and the UK for a family visit.

The friendly handling of slots, fuel, transport to/from aircraft etc by MFGZ couldn’t be faulted. We went in and out IFR which was an easy and friendly experience, but there is a VFR brief to complete if that method is your choice.

Particularly considering its size, ZRH is remarkably useable. A quick 5 min tram ride to the Airport railway station. Price for handling/landing etc was a very reasonable CHF144 for a Bonanza, and well worth it for us due to the convenience factor for my family.

EGKR, United Kingdom

Zurich is indeed quite reasonable for it’s size, as long as you go with MFGZ-handling. Other Swiss airfields might be more expensive, for example Geneva (LSGG) costs way more, or even a regional airport like my Swiss home-base Buochs (LSZC), where handling (180 CHF) is mandatory during evenings and weekends. And not to forget Samedan (LSZS), which has reasonable landing fees, but does get expensive with parking and additional fees like AFIS, Pax, Snow-Removal etc.

Last Edited by Frans at 22 Sep 20:15
Switzerland
Sign in to add your message