Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norway

A quick update on our plan:
Wx is now more defined. @boscomantico opened our eyes to the lower Avgas prices in N-Germany vs Denmark (thx!) so we decided to fuel-stop in the area. EDXR seems the best fuel price with EDHK Kiel as an alternate. We may well need it since the LP NW of the British Isles will be sweeping front after front in the coming days over N France, BE, NL , N Germany and on.
We intend to fly on Saturday 29th Mallorca to EDXR and will aim to overfly most of the wx and time our arrival in between fronts….difficult to tell exactly today but we may well need an ILS into Kiel then perhaps flying on 10 mins to EDXR. Due to ground infrastructure, even if we refuel at EDXR we will overnight at Kiel. Any other locations in the area will have similar wx over the weekend so not a better wx option.

Then, as the locals say, wx is usually bad in Norway in one place or another. Sunday 30th or Monday 31st we will fly on to ENBO Bodo for refuelling and perhaps overnight then the short flight to Svolvaer and perhaps Rost when there is a Wx break.
Either way, central-S Norway will have bad wx those days so our plan is to overfly it, which puts Røros out of the list of submittals for Excom consideration. Wx in the Bodo+Lofotens area is reasonable those days so we should find it easy to get there. We will just have to time our departure from Kiel to avoid a long climb through icing layers, but we are flexible on Sun and Mon.

With wx expected in the Lofotens over the coming days, we should be able to enjoy!

Wx-allowing perhaps we could fly a fjord or two and meet some of our forum-pals at Trondheim on the way North on Sun/Mon or perhaps on the way back South on or around Mon 7th?

Last Edited by Antonio at 27 Jul 10:46
Antonio
LESB, Spain

@Antonio, if you nightstop in Bodø, don’t miss the Norsk Luftfartsmuseum, located right on the airport
I can also recommend the Radisson, nice view on the bay and harbor.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

an ILS into Kiel

Oh well, the ILS is out, so LPV it will be. The NDB is out and it is part of the MAP. Not that I would care since GPS would fly it more reliably, but I guess this means ATC will not be providing an ILS approach clearance

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

Norsk Luftfartsmuseum,

On the top list for excom approval! I am sure the kids will love it (as if I would not)

Last Edited by Antonio at 27 Jul 11:01
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

We will just have to time our departure from Kiel to avoid a long climb through icing layers, but we are flexible on Sun and Mon.

Question for the German experts. It seems Kiel is on the list that we should 48h-PPR German customs of our intended departure. However I would really like to remain flexible as above .
If I advise of an intended 0800Z dep, customs-wise can I later change it to a say 1200Z dep?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

48h-PPR German customs

Surprise, surprise, the phone number on EDHK AIP for customs does not work. EDHK OPS did answer the phone and said an email to themselves (phone and address published on AIP ) should suffice and they would notify customs…we’ll see how that works. In their view , as indicated in this thread, if nothing to declare, a notification is enough.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Don‘t know what your latest plans are, but here goes:

As you have probably seen, the weather forecast for EDXR area looks like it will allow a VFR arrival. That is good because EDHK won‘t allow you to fly an IAP there and then go straight to EDXR. That‘s because they charge an approach fee and they want you to pay it on the spot. They will not just send an invoice to unknown people. So you would have to land, pay 60 Euros and then takeoff again. Stupid, I know.

But anyway, weather at EDXR looks ok to me. How do you get from there to Kiel. Or do you intend to fly to EDXR first, refuel, and then fly to EDHK? Not sure the 0.55€ fuel price difference is worth the extra fuel, time and hassle.

Re customs, that is a bit of a fuzzy issue at places like EDHK. No issue whatsoever at EDXR, which has no customs status at all.

Have a good flight.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thank you @boscomantico.

Well my default plan is to go to EDXR then after refuelling fly on to EDHK VFR. I spoke to EDHK and they did not seem bothered about my plan to possibly do an approach there then fly on to EDXR…but then probably the ops person was not that familiar and I did not push for more details. Wx should be OK anyway.

But how are they going to stop us from going around at EDHK then cancelling ifr and diverting? It’s all class E above 1000ft to FL100! Or are they providing control service in Class E or what? Anyway they know we are flying out of EDHK the next day to ENBO and we have already advised customs…

Not that tracing us for payment is such a difficult thing anyway….

The price difference for 350 lt is one hour free fuel in exchange for a 10 min flight EDXR-EDHK…it should pay off

At Bodo I found the weird situation that AD admin hours are restricted but ATS is H24 (as published at avinor.no/ais) …does that mean you can land H24 or not? The AIS non-AI briefer at +47 64819000 said yes. I also spoke to the fuel man and he said the H24 self-refuelling pump can be used with AirBP card, Shell card and the special Norwegian fuel cards…so I guess it does not matter what time we land there…as long as the Luftartmuseum is open!

Last Edited by Antonio at 28 Jul 20:05
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Yes last TAF for Hamburg is reasonable especially if we land before 1400 or after 1800 tomorrow:

TAF: EDDH 281700Z 2818/2924 27005KT 9999 SCT025 BECMG 2818/2820 VRB03KT PROB30 TEMPO 2900/2907 3000 BR BKN006 BECMG 2905/2907 23008KT PROB30 TEMPO 2907/2909 BKN012 TEMPO 2910/2919 4500 SHRA BKN013CB PROB30 TEMPO 2914/2918 23015G25KT TSRA

Plan is to arrive just before 1200Z hoping for a 2h break in wx…maybe enough to refuel at EDXR and fly on to EDHK. If not, worst case we eat the extra 200€ fuel cost and just land at EDHK direct, as someone said the trick is to remain mentally flexible to go for your alternate plans. Even worse case, EDDH Hamburg is nearby and has AirBP avgas too, so plenty of options in the area, unlike Norway!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

At Bodo I found the weird situation that AD admin hours are restricted but ATS is H24 (as published at avinor.no/ais) …does that mean you can land H24 or not?

You can land H24, but there could be restrictions on doing training (circuits) for instance. Admin is just the office hours. I have been fooled by that a couple of times, because the admin hours are the first that pops up on the Avinor operational hours site, and when in a hurry…

Antonio wrote:

so I guess it does not matter what time we land there…as long as the Luftartmuseum is open!

The museum is definitely not open H24

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message