Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

My dream is to fly in Europe, but I have some concerns...

I knew a guy who somehow built himself a fantastic hard runway near his house, not far from Zaragoza. He died about 5 years ago, probably in his 40s, and I don’t know any details. He flew his TB20GT from it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nickmatic there is a minor gotcha which is that you will need an FAA Radio Licence if operating overseas – I believe it only costs around $60, so an easy fix.

Some countries in Europe like to collect fines from FAA pilots who do not have this bit of paper, and the fines are quite high.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Which countries?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Also the FAA radio license is just a form filling exercise (no RT exam or anything like that). I got one before I first flew in Europe. it’s valid for life.

Andreas IOM

Nick – welcome to the minefield of European GA !

Spain: as has been pointed out, nice place to fly in, but very few airfields that can take a Mooney. There are LOADS of Microlight strips around, but mostly too short for your ride. As for building one yourself – it’s possible (I know two people who have done it), but it’ll take endless patience, loads of money (both on and below the table) and may well end up with a load of restrictions. The financial crisis has all but wiped out private flying (other than Micros) there, so a tiedown and hangarage shouldn’t be too bad. If you really like the Barcelona area, you might also look at Ampuriabrava, although not sure about instrument approaches there (don’t think they have any, but check).

France: generally regarded as GA heaven (this comment to be seen in the context of Europe, where everything is over-regulated). Definitely good food but horrid bureaucracy and endless transport strikes. The latter, though, may not matter much to you

UK: IMHO avoid, unless you really enjoy being surrounded by the Hi-Viz Nazis at every turn, staring at grey skies and generally (outside London) eating crap food. Also totally anal airspace.

Anyway – welcome to the EUSSR!

UK: IMHO avoid, unless you really enjoy being surrounded by the Hi-Viz Nazis at every turn, staring at grey skies and generally (outside London) eating crap food. Also totally anal airspace.

I think that’s a rather unfair and broad characterisation. Take for example my trip last weekend to Gloucestershire. Airspace – not a problem, all class G except for at EGNS, and it’s no more difficult to get a clearance there than it is to any similar size airport in the USA. And then I could go as high as the Auster would go with no airspace worries. The food at the café at Gloucester is pretty much the same fare that’s available at a US airfield café or restaurant. Not a single hi-vis nazi in sight, in fact I find that airport has consistently given me excellent service and it’s one reason I like to go there if I need to go to that part of the UK. I say this as someone who has done over 1000 hours of GA flying in the United States. Additionally lots of interesting stuff going on at EGBJ, there were Tiger Moths flying, someone out for an evening bimble in their Cub, all mixing in with bizjets and helicopters and a small airliner.

Anyone who thinks there is only crap food outside of London just hasn’t even looked. I don’t think I’ve ever found a town without at least one decent Indian restaurant, and at least one decent pub that not only does good ale put perfectly good food.

We can’t do anything about the weather, and sure there are airfields in the UK who are run by hi viz nazis, but to characterise the entire country that way is to do it a disservice, and if a visitor avoids the whole UK because of this comment, they’ve missed out on a very rewarding trip.

Andreas IOM

very few airfields that can take a Mooney.

…there is a backcountry pilot with the avatar Piperpainter who seems to take his Mooney 21 into quite a few Idaho strips…

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Silvaire: Oops, I missed that the restriction applies to my PP cert as well. But my conclusion is the same as yours: Keep my American identity and residency primary when flying and it seems like it should be relatively smooth sailing (smooth flying?)

boscomantico: Sounds like northern Italy might not be a bad place to try to set up a private strip. Food for thought. My Italian isn’t bad, though I don’t speak Bureaucrat well…

FAA Radio License: Already have it, and the station license for my plane. As noted, it’s easy to get and just costs $, but can alleviate lots of hassle in some places. No-brainer for me.

172driver: EUSSR :) Good tip on Ampuriabrava. Fantastic area near Cadaques! But what does Hi-Viz Nazi refer to??

EHLE, Netherlands

Some aerodromes require the wearing of these fluorescent rags of every person walking on the apron, and some are even particularly insistant, especially in the UK. If I read some reports correctly, that is even a polite way to put it.

[ edit: 172driver’s explanation below might be at least as applicable ]

It is a bit of a disease slowly spreading: one visiting pilot to my home field came walking into the bar with this bizarre attire – several fellow pilots had some trouble to keep their face straight. Then again, the poor chap may have been unsure, and preferred to err on the safe side. But he could have done away with it when leaving the open air.

As for setting up your own strip in Northern Italy: there seem to be a good few around already, so it must be more or less doable. OTOH, there’s very many aviosuperficie around there too so perhaps your need would be less.

Last Edited by at 23 Jun 15:46
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

But what does Hi-Viz Nazi refer to??

Ah! Sounds like you’ve never been to the UK….. It refers to little self-important people (locally called jobsworths) running around in in hi-viz vests and ordering you around. Found especially at airports, but prevalent throughout the country. You have been warned……

Sign in to add your message