Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 15-18 April

Restaurant details here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks do I contact goaround for booking or direct to restaurant reservations?

Nestor 27-Mar-15 00:10 #94
Anyone knows when and in which Kneipe we’ll meet ?
So, once there, where and when would we meet ?

Last Edited by Nestor at 27 Mar 00:11

KHTO, LHTL

That table is already reserved.

There is no way of knowing how many will turn up, because people tend to cancel fly-ins at short notice. And if the wx is not VFR then you get far fewer anyway. But AFAIK this restaurant isn’t an obvious place for Aero visitors to pile into so they should have extra places if needed… I would hope.

For people arriving into EDNY, at lunchtime, the obvious place to meet up is the restaurant at the entrance, near where your passports get checked. It isn’t cheap but it is good and nothing edible in Germany is cheap I plan to arrive c. 1330 UTC.

Administrator

I hope to be there on Thursday 17th, though VFR, so who knows. Is that the Zeppelin Museum restaurant where we met last year?

Norman
United Kingdom

My plan VFR from UK for N2136E Arrow is EDNY Mon 13 or Tue 14 (weather check) and depart maybe not till Sun 19.
It seems, in any case, there are no or at least no convenient slots left 15, 16, 17 or 18.
I have talked to the airfield +49 (0) 7541-284120 and they say no PPR required for regular days (13th or 14th in my case).
Just call on the radio – this flexibility suits me just fine. I’m never very happy with the ‘pressure’ of a fixed ‘slot’. Particularly with a 4 hour VFR flight.
I’m advised, since Mon and Tue are non Expo days, I will be parked at the terminal side of the runway.
I’ve been quoted land & park one night €35 and subsequent night parks €12.
Refuelling (on arrival for me) is by tanker (Bowser).
I have hotel booked up the railway line north in Ravensburg.
Some ID (Pilots Licence / Passport) indicating DOB will give me OAP reduced Expo entry on a day by day basis (€15 I think)

Would be pleased to hear any different views / opinions to the above.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Sounds a good plan.

I will be parked at the terminal side of the runway

That’s the hard surface. Very good. The exhibition side is mostly grass and is not suitable for a retractable (well, unless you are renting ). I got it 2x and it took 3 of us to move the plane. I would never taxi on it under power.

One has to be forceful sometimes to get hard parking at EDNY and if necessary just shut down on the taxiway no matter how many are taxiing behind you. But in recent years it has been OK; there is a lot less traffic nowadays.

Administrator

The exhibition side is mostly grass and is not suitable for a retractable (well, unless you are renting ).

The hard surface is not much better either. I had to kick away concrete bits, which were bigger than a credit card. Ouch for the prop.
Every time I go to EDNY I have an additional nick in the prop.

United Kingdom

The exhibition side is mostly grass and is not suitable for a retractable

He flies an Arrow, not a flimsy french contraption That said, my hangar neighbor is a TB20, and it operates for years on grass without a single problem or prop strike or whatever.

This year you don’t have a choice, as grass is reserved for <1 ton. If the weather is not extremely wet, I’d much prefer the grass side, as the concrete side is usually a big mess if you want to depart during the expo days. Even though there are no slots for VFR departures, plan for an hour taxi time.

LSZK, Switzerland

I feel better about driving the more Im reading.

KHTO, LHTL

A TB20 is fine on grass. Many of them live on grass.

It’s fine until it isn’t. I found a £20,000 pothole, with just 1hr on the aircraft after delivery

These days, I am just not interested in taking the risk. The logistics of sorting out hangarage in some dump, for ~10 weeks, and engine shipping back to the USA… obviously I am not going to get the engine done by some local shop. Plus multiple airline trips for two.

The airport always walks away from it. They are well practiced because an airport with holes in the surface gets a lot of practice If the airport was liable (actually I think they are) the whole grass strip scene would shut down. That scene works only because pilots have their own insurance.

But then attitudes to risk do vary. I see some amazing stuff go on.

But then attitudes to downtime also vary…

I feel better about driving the more Im reading.

I never had a problem there if parking on a hard surface.

The 1hr departure queue might be on a Saturday…

Administrator
Sign in to add your message