Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up Wednesday 24th June 2015 (Annecy LFLP)

Just a few facts on VFR to Annecy.

Route: SFD ALES0 (FIR boundary) CMB ELVES DIKOL TRO DJL ARGIS CBY LFLP.
Stopped at Troyes on way down to pick up fuel, in case none available at Annecy. Came back direct.

WX: Both out and back there was a layer of Few or Broken with tops from 6-8 thousand feet. We stayed on top for nearly the whole journey, which may have given us more head wind on the way back than lower but it was very smooth.

Legs:
Strip to Troyes: 2:23, 347NM, average speed 145kts, when clear of UK Class A all at FL075.
Troyes to Annecy: 1:13, 180NM, average speed 142kts, mostly FL075 except for under Class C.
Annecy to Strip: 4:08, 540NM, average speed 130kts, FL095 until UK Class A.

Landing and overnight parking on hard in the same row as Peter (they probably wanted to improve the quality of the line ) 19 euro RV 750kg.

Bus #6 or #10 from outside the terminal on the same side of the road as the terminal to the station 1.80 euro. Get off couple of stops before station and you are only few metres from Hotel Bonlieu.

Photo: At 4500ft going around CBY VOR which is at 5000ft, on the edge of Geneva C airspace. I have never been below a VOR before.

Norman
United Kingdom

Strip to Troyes: 2:23, 347NM, average speed 145kts, when clear of UK Class A all at FL075.
Troyes to Annecy: 1:13, 180NM, average speed 142kts, mostly FL075 except for under Class C.

Just a minor note: French FIS sometimes groans when pilots fly the wrong semicircular altitude.
Usually only happens when the flight is uncontrolled, and even more so when flying IFR in Golf.

Bus #6 or #10

Yes, forgot about the bus. However, these lines are not active at all on a Sunday. Then it’s a taxi.

The Geneva area is quite tricky VFR IMHO. Lots of terrain, no access to the complicated airspace Charlie, lots of VFR traffic and usually lots of turbulence, too.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Jun 12:39
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Just a minor note: French FIS sometimes groans when pilots fly the wrong semicircular altitude.
Usually only happens when the flight is uncontrolled, and even more so when flying IFR in Golf.

Yes you are right, but I think you meant to refer to the return flight, we started at FL085 but to stay VFR asked for FL095 and they were happy.

Norman
United Kingdom

Yes, indeed.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can see my house in one of Peter’s Geneva pix :-) pity my schedule was really screwed up.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 27 Jun 14:18

Yeah, I noticed it, too

Nice to see, that it’s obviously also well doable VFR through France – even during weekdays. Thanks for sharing, Peter and Norman!

EDLE

Just got the invoice from AIR BP – 133 litres at exactly €2.00 per litre including all taxes.

(The self service machine had no ink so I could not see the price at the time)

That is quite cheap! GBP 1.44.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That is quite cheap! GBP 1.44

Thanks to a strong £ ! or is it thanks to a weak € ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I am surprised you got vectors to the ILS at Annecy.
When we go we usually get cleared for the approach by Chambery then handed to Annecy (who have no radar).

We always used to get the SALEV5Y transition to an ILSY 04 but now we seem to get a MEBAK7R then an ILSZ 04. Of course the French AIP says that the MEBAK arrival is not allowed for flights originating in the UK and Ireland.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message