Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Not exactly a 'Trip'....but it was certainly VFR!

Re BeechBaby’s post.

I couldn’t have folks thinking I had ignored DPs question re his image. I exchanged a couple of PMs with DP clarifying his question.

@alioth,

Are you one of the guys who was at Andreas in a Maule on Mad Sunday? (If so we had a brief chat, I’m very interested in coming to your cookout in the Auster!)

Do you mean that saddle-sore “dad’s cycle corps” which flew in each day to watch the TT? It was a great week’s racing, but next year we’ll bring dirt bikes so that we can get around the course.

You’re welcome to come on Sunday. PM or look for my contact details on the airfield website, www.glenswinton.co.uk

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Dublinpilot, sorry that is not Corryvreckan.

This is Corryvreckan..

It runs between the North tip of Jura, and Scarba.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 01 Sep 15:24
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Jacko wrote:

and we’re plotting a cookout at Glenswinton

Are you one of the guys who was at Andreas in a Maule on Mad Sunday? (If so we had a brief chat, I’m very interested in coming to your cookout in the Auster!)

Andreas IOM

Peter,
We’ve had a lousy summer but the GFS is predicting a nice stable anticyclone over Ireland for the next 10-14 days. Prestwick airshow next w/e, and we’re plotting a cookout at Glenswinton. So postpone Slovenia and come to Scotland – fly some circuits, shoot some skeet, cook and taste some Galloway beef, touch & go in silage fields and lochs, kick the tyres of local Huskies, Cubs and Maules…
Peter.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I’d recommend trying it, turn all the gadgetry off, slow down the TB20 (lovely aircraft, I was impressed on a recent flight down through France in one) and marvel.

I did a similar kind of trip in 2014, with Dublinpilot, but around Ireland. So as you can see I can fly low level VFR But on that trip we were very lucky with the weather. And to do the same around Scotland one would need to be even more lucky; I have been planning a Scottish version for much of this year (albeit with some passenger time constraints) and there have been very few opportunities.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great report @misc. now feeling the need for a scenic flight.

Alex
Shoreham (EGKA) White Waltham (EGLM), United Kingdom

Thanks folks.

Peter wrote:

I have never flown to Scotland. I was going to go this weekend, for a VFR trip to get a load of pics, but cancelled due to too much work back home and probably dodgy wx up there.

Peter,

I’m surprised to hear you’ve never ventured to the north west, it’s certainly worth the effort, especially if the weather behaves.

I’d recommend trying it, turn all the gadgetry off, slow down the TB20 (lovely aircraft, I was impressed on a recent flight down through France in one) and marvel.

No story this time just a short video of further north.

We were in need of some oil and find Far North Aviation in Wick reasonably priced, so off to Wick we went for some oil (clockwise).

Last Edited by Misc at 31 Aug 19:45

Great :) Thanks for posting. I enjoyed reading, and particularly because I didn’t recognise much of the area of your photos!

Misc. wrote:

I had intentionally left it off so far to preserve the battery for the less familiar area and in the hope the worlds 3rd largest whirlpool, Coryvreckan, would be in full flow

Is that what I saw here?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Thanks for sharing, Misc. , please keep them coming!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message