Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lunch and fuel stop somewhere in Southern France?

Villefranche LFHV fits the bill.

LFOU, France

Merci Juju. Should I phone somebody at Villefranche beforehand to make sure avgas is available and that visa (non-total) card is accepted (I read an old comment on you-fly about this recommendation for LFHV)?
Also, can you please suggest the cheapest ifr avgas-stop alternate nearby, in case of bad weather?

United Kingdom

VAC and SD reports agree that avgas is sold from a self serve pump taking visa cards. You can phone one of the local clubs to make sure it works.

If you need to divert, I would say Bron LFLY is a good choice (well equipped, GAT and long opening hours, with hotels and restaurants nearby). They would take any credit card too. Also it is in the Rhone valley so better radar coverage and easier terrain.
Cheapest would be Saint Etienne LFMH (notam says they take credit cards during fueling hours), Roanne LFLO (un controlled, certainly the cheapest) or Saint Yan LFLN (mostly flight training activity).

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 11 Jun 12:08
LFOU, France

You could try LFGJ Dole Tavaux. It has various instrument approaches as well.

I have stopped there several times when going south from the UK as they have Immigration as well. There is a restaurant but I have not eaten there. Fuel is available at a good price usually and can be paid by Credit Card or AirBP Card. When using a Credit Card the Pompier has to come out and turn the pump on.

The staff are always friendly and helpful.

EGLK, United Kingdom

Thanks both Juju and Colin. I didn’t consider the immigration angle (coming from Uk) because I considered that if I just refuel do I really need Schengen check?

United Kingdom

I would say yes you do. Don’t overlook police/customs stuff.
Of all the ones I referred to, only Lyon and Saint Etienne have customs with PPR 24hrs. Grenoble LFLS usually have onsite customs but its PPR now with covid. Colin’s suggestion look great too.

LFOU, France
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message