Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to meet up in 2016?

No 11 refers
And YES – I’d do it again, otherwise I might as well take up fishing on the river bank – No disrespect to the great hobby of fishing.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 21 Nov 14:36
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Blimey, isn’t language a wonderful way of everyone misunderstanding everyone.
Malloca is generic, IAP means Instrument App Proceedure and yes you will never please all of the people all of the time Abe Lincoln and John Lydgate

EGCV, United Kingdom

@N8225Y, don’t worry. Jan is one of our more pedantic posters. :) I understood what you meant.

EGTK Oxford

N8225Y wrote:

N8225Y 22-Nov-15 22:14 #14
Blimey, isn’t language a wonderful way of everyone misunderstanding everyone.
Malloca is generic, IAP means Instrument App Proceedure and yes you will never please all of the people all of the time Abe Lincoln and John Lydgate

Sorry for speaking on your behalf but I thought you decided to stay away from this site glad to see your back.

It must be the English language perhaps we can switch it to German which Im told is much more rigid and precise.

KHTO, LHTL

English is just fine but people need to use smileys a bit more…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No problem!

EGCV, United Kingdom

Anybody want to produce a ‘short list’ for May 2016 ? Central to all, say eastern France or central southern Germany.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

@JasonC: thank you for putting that so mildly ;) It must be my IT job that makes me so pecky on words – indeed I am said to have been very poetic in my younger days ;)

@N8255Y: I shared C210_Flyer’s concern. Glad to see you took no offence.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

C210_Flyer wrote:

It must be the English language perhaps we can switch it to German which Im told is much more rigid and precise.

I like the way this is portrayed here:

Every nation has done things it should be embarrassed about. Dark acts in its history. The Germans are no exception. You know of what I talk – the German language. Deutsch is mostly an incomprehensible jumble of exceptions. A dungeon designed to trap foreigners and hold them hostage, repeatedly flogging them with impenetrable and largely useless grammatical devices, whose only merit is to very, very, explicitly state who has what and what is being done to whom, by whom. […] English, at least linguistically, has always been the biggest slut in the room. Giving and taking from other languages. Trying to make you like it. Keeping it simple. My pet theory is that the Germans, despite their committed efforts, were not as successful as the English in their world power plays and so the English language has always, historically, been forced like a bridge made of glue to ford whatever cultural divide lay between us and whoever we were conquering, sorry colonising this week, so we had to smooth down its rougher edges […]. Of course there are far harder languages to learn than German, that’s not my point. English also has its stupidities, like a staunch commitment to being unphonetic. The difference is that English was kind enough to be easy in the beginning, it ramps up slowly and encouragingly. German just plonks you down in front of a steep mountain, says “viel spass” and walks off as you begin your slow ascent.

(text quoted from here: http://venturevillage.eu/how-to-be-german-part-1)

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

As a foreigner (Czech) and having done both English and German on an evening course, for a couple of years, I would agree with the above

But then I got nowhere with French also, after 3 years at school. Didn’t learn more than maybe 2 words.

My father spoke Spanish, Italian, French, Russian, English, Czech of course, German… clearly none of that found its way through the DNA

In the context of an internet community, intelligent people (i.e. everybody on there) can work out what somebody is saying and so it is never any problem if someone on here is not explaining something perfectly. And nobody has ever taken the p1ss out of somebody on EuroGA who made an embarrassing language mistake (happens a lot on other forums).

But that leaves the ambiguous stuff which can be impossible for someone to work out: irony and sarcasm. These really require a smiley: If someone posts something sarcastic which I think is not obvious and is thus likely to be misunderstood as being just nasty, I will probably delete it… A smile costs nothing

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message