Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

I think the problem is evident

Looking at some detail, some things maybe worth trying are:

• not set up a messaging group for a fly-in until it actually starts; that keeps the forum thread active, especially if one posts a list of aircraft+nicknames currently going
  • most people won’t go until they see a number of others going, and setting up a messaging group early just kills the forum thread
  • many people never join a messaging group
  • use Whatsapp instead of Telegram?
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Having just returned from organising another successful ‘Fly Out’ (in initially atrocious weather!) to Overnighter_Chartres_pdf and having also ploughed through all the entries in this forum page(!) perhaps a few simple comments might help:

• The venue must, I believe, be a ‘Tour In’ as well as a ‘Fly In’. This is particularly to attract partners.
  • The distance must be reasonably flyable for low-hour pilots to attract.
  • The field need not necessarily be Instrument rated but doable.
  • The date must be announced well in advance.
  • Hotels must be booked by the people themselves who are coming. We used a chain/system that allowed cancellation/change without penalty. This proved a life-saver this time.
  • A group meal should be attempted but people must recognise that a successful attendance creates problems: I booked a restaurant for 25 – only to have to cancel it because weather meant most people didn’t get there until the second day – when getting a table for 17 on the Saturday night was impossible. Hence they ate in groups; but we had pre & post meal drinks together.
  • I use a WhatsApp page for those who say they are coming. This proved invaluable when dealing with delays, weather reports and gathering people together at short notice in Chartres.
  • Useful to have an ‘attraction’ – this case a talk on the cathedral – which is ‘optional’, so in the end everyone comes!

Although we had 12 planes/25 people initially booked, we ended up with 9 planes/17 people. Not bad in the circumstances.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 02 May 16:40
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message