Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

Peter wrote:

An online spreadsheet would not (I assume) enable sending messages to everyone asking them if they are still coming.
  1. People are supposed to update the spreadsheet when they are not coming.
  2. If a column of the spreadsheet is the email of the people, one can just copy the column, paste it in the “To” (or BCC) field of an email program (tested to be working with Mozilla Thunderbird), and you have your “low-tech” mass mailing.

Peter wrote:

Telegram is also good in allowing huge files to be uploaded, so one can upload VFR or IFR charts, for example. You would not want those in a forum thread (only PDFs would work usefully and then take up space on the EuroGA server for ever).

For “up to a few hundreds of MB”, on condition that the organiser deletes these big files after the fly-in, my “LibreOffice Online” solution (which is actually based on NextCloud, whose “first core feature” is shared file storage) would also provide file storage.

Even if we use a spreadsheet, the Telegram group is still useful for last-minute coordination. And then we can also use it for the files anyway.

Last Edited by lionel at 14 Oct 16:51
ELLX

Dan wrote:

For me the easier the better, and these are the only things one needs:
- infos about the evening dinner given here

I’m in agreement with Dan. I’ve only been to 5-6 fly-ins with my aircraft since I got it flying 2 years ago, one EuroGA (Andorra), and I enjoy them greatly. When I don’t go to a fly-in, it’s simply because something else got prioritized. Sometimes that happens 2 days before, even after I was 99% sure I’d be going. Life happens.

There are people that love organizing stuff like hotels, restaurants, and activities for others, and if they want to do that for a fly-in, that’s great. I feel bad if people who don’t like to do that are spending time doing it for me – I don’t need it. If I go to a fly-in and have a beer in the lobby with some of you guys, super! If we have to sit in a restaurant at 3-4 different 4-top tables, no problem. If we have to eat at 3 different restaurants, no problem. I guess what I’m trying to say is keep it light.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

There are people that love organizing stuff like hotels, restaurants, and activities for others, and if they want to do that for a fly-in, that’s great.

They normally do it in the context of a high-price meetup; €200+. Then in turn people expect a lot of management and a lot of “return”, like buses, a “partner programme”. Type specific meetups tend to do this, especially certain brands… But someone has to do the work. I feel sorry for these people, especially if afterwards pics appear showing the whole group on some visit to a wine “brewery” and most of them looking utterly miserable

I feel bad if people who don’t like to do that are spending time doing it for me – I don’t need it.

Times have changed with e.g. booking.com and very few people need such a service today – which is why we don’t do it. But also it involves the organiser in a lot of liability. If it rains, then at best he will be dealing with a lot of p*ssed off people who will be pressing for a refund.

To be fair, you and Dan are “doers” rather than “dreamers”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is how Cirrus do it – very expensive participation but a lot of stuff organised.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This is how Cirrus do it – very expensive participation but a lot of stuff organised.

Once the original poster gives you the details and if you’re allowed to share them publicly, we’ll be able to see what’s included in this €400. If the airport fees are not included and neither accommodation then what’s in it?

Our average fly-in usually costs me around this figure (fuel excluded) – €400 covers airport fees, accommodation and food for two persons for 2-3 days.

Last Edited by Emir at 19 Oct 06:58
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I haven’t got more info currently.

If you watch that video you get the idea of what was laid on for the money. Buses, trips to a wine cellar (everybody seems to do those), the “partner programme”.

We have nobody on EuroGA wanting to spend time doing that. Whether this is unfortunate or not, I don’t know. I think our meetups are really great, being “free and easy”. The hard bit is knowing who will come, due to most dropping out at the last minute. Cirrus (and others) solve this with a large down-payment, so large that buying a cheap airline ticket is worth it. I am hoping to find out (and be able to post) their cancellation policy.

Administrator

Fly-ins like most events are self selective :

Right now is taking place High Sierra Fly-in : it’s on a dry lake bed, no water, no power, freezing by night and burning hot in daytime, dust everywhere.
But some people have found a place where people like them get together. It’s less a matter of what they do during the event than a atmosphere set up by same-minded people. One guy came from Tennessee (1672nm away !!!!) to be there. He writes

As with any aviation event you go for the planes and you end up enjoying the people.

Same of the Oshkosh campground, which is the annual encounter of the (white) Midwest middle-class flying crowd. I think Terbang didn’t feel at home there, despite being the mecca for aviators.

Last weekend, we were at a natural family planning training.
We didn’t know anyone there, but immediately felt at home. We had so much in common in terms of center of interest, vision on life and humanity, that I would go on holiday with most of the other couples without a doubt. Even if we barely know each other, we think in the same way.

Cirrus owners and their spouses are likely to have many in common, in terms of flying, but especially in terms of business, character, center of interest (diving, sailing, shopping Lacoste ). They may talk about business opportunities, expand their networks. It is much more than talking about Autorouter and CAA airspace process They don’t mind putting down 500€ if they think it’s going to be a good time.

I take these extreme examples because it’s what bring people back to fly-ins. Make them think “Oh, it will be a good time with nice people”.

EuroGA is a place for cheapskates independent people . We don’t have such a typical member profile.

I am wondering about setting up a family-oriented fly-in in 2023, but I have to think first about my priorities. I takes a lot of time and energy.

LFOU, France

Last weekend, we were at a natural family planning training. We didn’t know anyone there, but immediately felt at home. We had so much in common in terms of center of interest, vision on life and humanity, that I would go on holiday with most of the other couples without a doubt. Even if we barely know each other, we think in the same way.

Maybe you perceive fly-ins as religious mumbo-jumbo get togethers but I strongly believe that very few here share such opinion.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Come on Emir !
Ignore that example if you wish.
Don’t I have a point ?

LFOU, France

You do.

We don’t have a “EuroGA brand solidarity”. Type specific meetups have a strong “club” factor and none are stronger than Cirrus (for a variety of reasons).

Nor do we have a “Country X solidarity” – we are pan-European. That is actually a big factor for certain countries. And if you combine it with the brand solidarity, you get a huge group all “following the leader”

Our meetups are largely random people, some of whom have met before.

And when people come as a “family” they mostly do their own thing in the location and then the whole group meets up for the dinner. That way, there is no need for a “partner programme” because the wives have already done the bits they want to do. On a highly scripted event where you pack everybody in for 2 or 3 days, you need a “partner programme” because most of the wives can’t stand aeroplane talk for that long. Sorry for the stereotype but it saves typing

It works well; we just need to get the participation up, and make it more predictable so one can plan.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message