Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

The reason why homebuilder/experimental type fly-ins are successful (in most parts), are IMO:

• An agenda is there by default: exchange information, exchange ideas, and it’s all done by “looking and feeling” and talking
  • Actually seeing the planes from forums/mails/youtube/facebook and meeting the people
  • The homebuilder community is less afraid than others to get their hands dirty and doing what it takes to get the wanted result (the “yes can do” attitude is a little bit higher)

I think the important thing is to have some sort of agenda. It’s easy for homebuilt (the focus of the agenda is always there), but it requires some thought for other planes.

In general it’s a thing we have discussed locally here too. There are lots of pilots in the general district, lots of runways, but only a handful of us fly and visit each others places and runways. This year we have met up recently and have planned 5 “events”. Call it fly-in because everyone can come, and there will be food/barbecue etc. However, we will have a general agenda for each. Starting off with a fly-in at one airport (Grønøra) where there will be a small course in competition navigation (old school). Then, a landing competition at another field (a rather short grass field), a general fly-in with info/focus on helicopters at another field. A fly-in focusing on controlled airspaces/radio and trying out different planes (at ENVA, which is “my” responsibility). Then a navigation competition at ENNM in the fall. The idea is that people will train a bit during the summer, but it’s all mainly for fun and to meet up. The competition can also be thought of as a general scenic tour in the area, and everybody is welcome. We will see how it goes.

I do thing though, that meet up’s with no “agenda” is a bit dead in the water, unless it is a small thing. For instance like “free waffles” early Saturday afternoon or something like that. What I think is fun is to have a “flock flying event”, a scenic route that everyone fly together for instance.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

whilst on the other hand we have high end +/-M€ machines, used primarily for business and A-B flying.

Very few. No TPs for a long time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’ve had these issues again on the 2022 Spanish fly-in.

The telegram group turned out – yet again – to be largely lurkers.

How do others do this? Simple: they take money off everyone! A Cirrus fly-in… €220 per participant. Then you get a high turnout; the “very high brand loyalty” helps too. Personally I think this is an exploitative ripoff – like going round with a money jar in a church Of course somebody organises some “value” e.g. a hotel discount, but in these days of booking.com who really needs this? Most intelligent people prefer to be independent.

But maybe, since EuroGA is donation funded, a small donation would be a happy middle ground; say €50 per aircraft? It may not increase the number actually arriving but it will prevent a large % of lurkers who sit there in silence while making the airport planning impossible. It would also raise a bit of money for an excellent cause.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The telegram group turned out – yet again – to be largely lurkers.

I suspect the problem is the telegram group itself. People are naturally curious. So the register for the Telegram group to see what is happening, not because they intend to actually go. So the group looks bigger than it really is.

What is the reason for using telegram? Why not just have a tread on the forum? That way lurkers can read but without giving a false sense of interest that they might turn up.

Also with Telegram, the ‘activity’ that would keep the flyin in people’s mind is lost, because unless someone registers for the Telegram group initially, they no longer see any activity about the flyin and hence are unlikely to consider it again. If it was on the forum itself, then everytime there is a new post, it would remind people about it again.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I’m afraid this is always the problem of group meet ups, however hard one tries. I have every sympathy for organisers, it is extremely frustrating.
My wife used to organise trips and meet ups of various classic car groups across Europe. Even with a much larger potential for attendance, she was always on edge regarding.the number of people who would actually attend. For her, the best solution was to develop a small core of people who if they said they would turn up, then they would. The whole meet up was then geared to that small core, dates, hotel and restaurant reservations etc. Then if others wanted to join, they would be more or less fitted in, if possible. If not they would be free to make their own arrangements and join in with the others where and when possible.
It worked to the extent that we were never left cancelling hotels or restaurants or sitting in a car park on our own, or the embarrassment of explaining why a table laid for 20 at a restaurant, now only needed 4 places.
A EuroGa meet up has additional problems eg the weather.

France

What is the reason for using telegram? Why not just have a tread on the forum?

• one can do detail coordination in the telegram group; this would clutter up a forum thread
  • we fairly firmly ask people in the group to use real names (or at least first names) which most don’t want to do in the forum (privacy, and the standard “stalking” concerns which many will be surprised to hear are not confined to women!)

One could of course use whatsapp too but historically whatsapp was crap in the ability to run on multiple devices, and telegram still works much better.

Of course nothing prevents somebody disabling notifications and not seeing the telegram messages, and almost certainly that is what most of the “silent” people have done – intentionally or by accident.

The privacy issue means that photos of people get distributed only to those who were actually there, rather than being posted in the telegram group. Obviously this is impossible if someone is in there under a name like “a b”

the best solution was to develop a small core of people who if they said they would turn up, then they would

We do the same. We PM the “regulars”. But sometimes still most of those drop out. The 2022 Spanish meet-up didn’t have a forum thread and this worked to reduce the numbers but still most dropped out. And, post-covid, the regular group is a lot smaller than it used to be; so many “old timers” (high hour travellers, with IRs etc) have vanished.

As has been posted further back, the fly-ins which do work, work because of

• a big participation fee
  • brand/group loyalty (e.g. a type specific fly-in, or a homebuilt/UL fly-in)
  • strong national solidarity (EuroGA is international, in comparison, and anyway this works only for some countries)
  • a “partner programme” (usually a bus for the wives to go shopping – an awful stereotype but I am not kidding and it works!)
Administrator

My 2 pence.
I agree with Dublin Pilots post above.

I for one wouldn’t pay a participation fee.
I may have only made it to a couple of meets but that’s against a backdrop of being twice as busy as most people I know.

For some people, flying is their only big thing in life. They will prettymuch prioritise it over many other things, or actually not have many things which they need to prioritise over flying.
They may either have a big flying budget or be prepared to make it work whatever.

Others have stronger distractions and are less able to commit. But can always find time to be involved on the forum and take a keen interest in what’s happening. (Lurkers)
I don’t see that as an issue.

Obviously a single type owners group adds another layer of ‘connection’ between pilots, that would help bolster actual attendance.
It’s slightly more likely they are similar minded and possibly on similar budgets. (Think sportcruiser LSA, Grumman Tiger or Mooney. )

It makes sense to me to keep eveything on the forum until a few days before, when the final numbers should be evident, and then move to WhatsApp or Telegram (same thing) which does work well for comms between the actual attendees.

Having been responsible for organising groups and running clubs in the past, it’s difficult to not get caught up in how these things turn out, but everyone has their own circumstances and although sometimes it feels pointless, it’s just how it goes.
As in the tread title, how much support?
The more information available the better.
Those that are less experienced or less confident will need all they can get, and the rest can choose to rely on that, or do thier own thing.

It circles back to the same point, if someone wants to organise stuff, that’s Fantastic, but it takes input and effort that may turn out to feel not worth it.(poor turn out) But that has to be part of the understanding before doing it.

United Kingdom

Pete would you pay say 5 euros?

Administrator

Good Point.
I think that may work.
I could elevate my genuine interest to a realistic commitment by paying, then not worry that I’ve lost anything if for some reason it starts to not work out for me. At the same time I’m contributing to the forum and contributing to the effort taken for organising.
Yes I would.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 13 Oct 12:03
United Kingdom

So 5 is OK but 50 too much. How about 10?

Any other input on this?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message