Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip report: VFR tour around California

Fantastic trip and even better write-up. Thanks for sharing your experience, photos and enjoyment of the trip.
You certainly maximised the return on your PPL training investment. I’d agree that basic PPL training doesn’t fully prepare you for “going places” but forums (esp EuroGA) help a lot with the required additional knowledge.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Wow JnsV, that must have been a fantastic trip! What a beautiful landscape to fly over. This kind of trips are the one I am really interested in.

Well done and I hope reading a lot more trip reports of similar trips in the future!

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Thanks all for the additional compliments.

Rwy20 wrote:

IIRC, there doesn’t seem to be an indication of the position accuracy in Foreflight, as it is the case with other similar apps.

There actually is one, if you turn on the “dashboard” it is displayed in the lower right corner, in the same line with the GPS altitude.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

JnsV wrote:

I anticipated that the internal GPS may not be 100% accurate, just would not have expected an indication of a few meters of accuracy when in fact it was miles away laterally.

IIRC, there doesn’t seem to be an indication of the position accuracy in Foreflight, as it is the case with other similar apps. I think often the color of the aircraft symbol changes if the position accuracy is too low, or it can be stated as a number. Maybe @NCYankee knows more about this.

Loved the report – beautiful pictures and a good story to read! Well done!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

JnsV, I’ve flown in some of the same places and (for most of my hours) in the same system, and I think doing your flight in such a short time window was quite an achievement, and a testiment to your very thorough preparation.

Great photos too

Thanks again folks, it’s good that you enjoyed reading.

172driver wrote:

I suspect that’s to do with the internal GPS. I use ForeFlight all the time on an iPad with an external GPS unit and never had that problem.

I thought so too, because the problem never appeared again. I anticipated that the internal GPS may not be 100% accurate, just would not have expected an indication of a few meters of accuracy when in fact it was miles away laterally.

172driver wrote:

PS: oh, and btw, if you are into freight trains then you should try to stay at the Nipton Hotel in the Mojave Preserve next time you’re out here! Google it…..

I have Googled it and will try to get there somehow next time for sure.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO

Great report, pleased you enjoyed it!

JnsV wrote:

Also, there was an interesting conflict between the position shown on the moving map of ForeFlight on my iPhone (using the internal GPS)

I suspect that’s to do with the internal GPS. I use ForeFlight all the time on an iPad with an external GPS unit and never had that problem.

PS: oh, and btw, if you are into freight trains then you should try to stay at the Nipton Hotel in the Mojave Preserve next time you’re out here! Google it…..

Last Edited by 172driver at 07 Mar 23:23

So good to read about these trips. Respect – and keep it up ;-)

Molder
LSGL

Peter, AnthonyQ, thanks for the compliments. I know that things here in Europe are not as good as in the US, but I hope that I will be able to do similar trips over here. The IR would really seems to be useful, but the costs of getting and especially maintaining it (both pilot- and aircraftwise) seems to be prohibitive. Anyhow, I will think over this a coule of times.

Also, there was an interesting conflict between the position shown on the moving map of ForeFlight on my iPhone (using the internal GPS) and the position shown by the GNS-430 when flying near the SFO class B. The phone showed me in the middle of the 100/15 area next to the coast while the GNS-430 showed me 2-3 miles out of that section, in the 100/21 ring. I could not establish an totally accurate position visually due to cloud cover below, but could see the mast on Twin Peaks and my relative position tended to agree with that shown on the GNS-430, therefore I maintained 2000 ft. I contacted NorCal shortly afterwards and they had not said anything about me violating their airspace, so I guess I had been where I believed to be. I am not sure if this was because of the inaccuracy of the GPS fix or due to the incorrect mapping of the chart in ForeFlight.

Hajdúszoboszló LHHO
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message