Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy

Chflyer,

I can confirm to you that at LINB you will find AVGAS, we landed there last year (5 airplanes). The people at the airport speaks English and you will be welcoming.
If you ask it is possible to rent a car, they provided us 3 cars we found waiting us upon landing.

WellsA
LSZA

I looked up LINB, since avgas at that part of Italy would be really handy. It looks like a dirt strip

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, is a 1000 meters dirt laser twilight runway. I landed with a SR22 without any problem, it’s like a concrete runway.

WellsA
LSZA

I’ve never heard of a dirt laster twilight runway before!

By any chance do you have any photos of it from your trip there?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Yes, let me check at home and I’ll post.

WellsA
LSZA

I landed and refuelled in LINB, no problem. The runway is fine, but then … i land on grass all the time aswell.

Back to the initial theme (not Zika), our group (Swiss AAA) has just been informed by our handler in Malta that for all non-EU (not non-EASA) aircraft Malta CAA requires copies in advance of C of Reg, C of Airworthiness, C of Insurance per aircraft or we will be refused landing permission. Couldn’t find this PPR requirement anywhere in the AIP docs, so it was a surprise. It was suggested that this was due to it being an international airport, but we (AAA – Swiss-reg, N-reg) have flown to international airports all over Europe and never been presented with this requirement before. I’d be interested to hear of other EU airports that have requested this type of PPR info.

In any case, our group (12 aircraft) decided that this wasn’t acceptable so we have cancelled our visit to Malta and will only go as far as Sicily.

With Brexit coming, this is perhaps a heads-up for UK operators.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland

This is not good, of course, but realistically I think most people have all this stuff already scanned and available for emailing. Here in the UK you have to send (fax, usually) a copy of your insurance certificate 24hrs before the flight, if flying to any military airport.

IMHO it is probably an empire building move by the typical idiot airport jobsworth and they will soon get fed up with working out what to do with all that stuff.

Administrator

In any case, we’re a group of old-timer aircraft who just wanted to visit Malta. Many in the group don’t have these available for emailing and a few have an hour drive to their hangar to get the originals. Just too much hassle so we cancelled. We’re planning to visit a number of GA-friendly airfields in Italy and prefer to give them our business and support GA.

IMHO, GA pilots in general are too willing to submit to unreasonable requirements and should start being more selective about where they give their business. This worked well with Elba when they tripled their fees and now they are back to where they were.

LSZK, Switzerland

Of course… totally agree.

One problem is that many airports are managed by people who don’t actually want any traffic. They are vehicles for receiving and spending local chamber of commerce money

On rare occassions one finds a direct communication link which is effective. One example is Brac LDSB which is doing a special deal for the EuroGA fly-in in September, with 50% off for all (IAOPA or not).

BTW, what happened at Elba? I went there in 2014 and paid €102 for 1 landing and 2 nights’ parking (1400kg) – plus very expensive avgas.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message