Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Italy

Customs in Venice also seemed most interested in how much cash I was carrying. They were quite rude (“please speak Italian, we are in Italy here and we speak Italian” … I had a few juicy retorts, but kept them to myself because I just wanted to get it done). Croatia is not part of Schengen, so customs IS needed between there and Schengen countries (e.g. Hungary-Croatia, Croatia-Italy, Croatia-Slovenia). For example, on a flight last year from Sarmellek (Heviz/Balaton LHSM) to Losinj/LDLO we needed customs at both ends. Same later from Losinj to Portoroz.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland

Croatia is in the EU (now) so Customs is not needed between Croatia and Italy.

When did this problem happen in Venice?

Schengen is to do with movement of people, not goods. So you still need a passport presentation between Croatia and anywhere else, same as between the UK and anywhere else, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is usual mistake prople make – the problem is that officials shouldn’t make it. EU defines freedom of moving goods, Schengen defines freedom of moving people. Goods are controlled by customs, people are controlled by immigration. It’s not that hard to learn

So Vince, you’re completely wrong you needed immigration in the examples you mentioned. Customs would be needed between IT and CH regardless both beeing part of Schengen.

Last Edited by Emir at 05 Apr 15:52
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Placido, just ask the question (better in Italian) to this address (Linate Guardia di Finanza): [email protected]

They will confirm to you that private flights from Italy to Switzerland can upload duty-free (i.e. “senza accise”) avgas (at least they wrote that to me back in 2014).

Peter, the news of the Cagliari judge grounding N-regs 3 years ago was quite public, see here: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/afp/130517/private-jets-seized-italy-tax-fraud

I think nowadays the witch-hunt for planes- and boats-related tax frauds in Italy is finished (they go after real crimes, but they no longer invent crimes that don’t exist). I would still avoid Cagliari though :-)

Last Edited by at 07 Apr 08:19

Thanks, Valerio.

I don’t think that article quite reflects the position of " A judge based there, a few years ago, grounded for few months most N-regs in all of Italy, starting from all based in Cagliari, assuming all came in Europe via the old zero-vat Denmark route, and assuming that route was illegal (which was not).", however

It looks like some local madman decided to make a grand gesture. That’s a long way from adopting a position that the Danish zero VAT route was illegal.

Germany did the same – here

Administrator

Press didn’t know all details in this case, but was a good headsup. The point of the Italian judge was that, since the SR22s (and Meridians) were insured to the name of a non-Danish individual or company for the purpose of the import fly from US to Denmark, it was already known from inception that the plane would not stay in Denmark. According to the judge, the Danish route would be acceptable only if a Danish distributor purchased the planes from US (therefore importing them to Denmark under an insurance to its name), kept them in Denmark while advertising them to the European market without PREAGREED order from a non-Danish individual, and then someone from Italy, France, etc, bought them FROM the Danish distributor. The argument has its own merits if you ask me, but it’s really a hair-splitting one. The fact is, an N-reg SR20 based in Cagliari was grounded for what I think was many months or even years (it was ultimately sold a few weeks ago, I learned).

Last Edited by at 07 Apr 09:29

Hmmm; an interesting interpretation! I can see his drift…

However, since this doesn’t appear to have been tested properly, IMHO the stuck SR20 might have been simply abandoned by it’s owner. After some months, by the sea, the engine will be rusted inside… to many people, a 200k plane is just a hobby item.

Administrator

the SR20 was the N918PG. Was grounded by order of judge Giorgio Altieri.

Just an update for everyone’s info…

We’ve had very prompt, positive, and welcoming responses following direct emails to LINB Melpignano/Corte (20nm SE Lecce & LCC VOR) and LIDF Fano.

Corte requested to be informed in advance how much and type of fuel, avgas or Jet-A1. They seem also to be ready to assist arranging accommodation. Contact is Antonio Santoro [email protected] mobile +39 333 4890266

Fano refuelling hours are 0830-1230, 1500-1900 LT with 2hr prior notice requested). Avgas & Jet-A1. Apron parking is free of charge, longer stays can be on grass parking with tie down hooks. Contact is Matteo Rossini [email protected]

Our group is now 12 aircraft including Jodel/Robin, PA18 Super Cub, PA22 Tripacer, C172 XP, C175, DA42, SIAI Marcchetti 205, Alpha, Aeronca Champ 7AC so if these airfields are able to handle us as a group then can probably handle just about anyone.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland

On another line, there a couple forums indicating an Italian Health office requirement for a “Certificate of Disensection” (sic) for any flights arriving from outside Italy including from the EU and GA flights. Has anyone on this forum direct experience with that? It is apparently related to the current Zika virus media frenzy.

Enforcement seems to be arbitrary and concentrated on major customs airports (Milan, Rome, but also Sicily (airfield unknown)) but could happen anywhere. If a certificate cannot be produced, then the aircraft is sprayed/disinfected for a charge ranging from €290-480. I have been unable so far to determine how such a certificate could be obtained in advance. It seems that once done, the certificate is valid 8 weeks.

Any additional information from forum members would be welcome.

Vince

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message