Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

One more weekend trip report: Innsbruck (LOWI)

Inspired by @eddsPeter here is one more idea what to do over a weekend. Innsbruck is only a little more than an hour away from our home base Mannheim (EDFM) and we had packed our backpacks on Thursday evening. We left office Friday at around four, drove to the airport, hopped into our Mooney and not long after six we were in Innsbruck.

Here we reach the Alps near Forggensee.

We had canceled IFR a little earlier and continued to Innsbruck via the N route. Final approach turned out to be a bit steeper when runway 08 came in sight, but no problem.

What makes Innsbruck interesting for a weekend trip is the cable car system which connects the city center to the mountain ridge just to the north. There is plenty of activity possible here: one can hike, mountain bike, do a fixed rope route ( via ferrata ) or go climbing. I think one member here is into climbing, but I can’t remember who it was. The window of Seegrube station of the cable car tells you what you have to do.

We decided to do the via ferrata, unfortunately weather was not that great on Saturday. However, here are a few pics.

It’s not really complicated to do this via ferrata, but you’ll need a little mountaineering experience.

And you won’t be alone.

We even had a little sun towards the end.

Sunday was a perfect day.

Though this wasn’t necessary obviously, we filed IFR to try the SID. We were cleared the ADILO1J departure, which, after initial climb joins a localizer/DME that is located east of the AD. Here we climb on this localizer.

When reaching the localizer you turn almost 180 degrees and fly back towards the field (well, an NDB near the field).

The departure affords views of the ridge we walked and climbed along the day before (in the foreground).

And of the field.

Leaving the Alps again.

We had to pay a little more than 40 euros on the day of departure, half of which was Austro Control approach fee and the other half was landing and parking for two nights. A taxi to town is eleven or twelve euros but there is public transport as well. Innsbruck is full of hotels of all categories. It was no problem booking one after arrival.

Staff at the airport was exceptionally friendly, as were most people we met. With the multitude of possible activities in the mountains I highly recommend Innsbruck.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Great report!

Thanks!
Did anybody check, or even inquire after, your ELT?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Thanks for the great report! Despite being a mountaineering Austrian, I have to admit that I have only been to Innsbruck for a few hours until now.

I guess @Patrick will also appreciate the mountaineering insights

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Superb pics!

I have flown over Innsbruck many times but never landed there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Did anybody check, or even inquire after, your ELT?

No, nobody bothered, no checks at all. The only thing worth mentioning might be, if you say crew only, no pax, they want to see both licenses.

The only downside might be, no ULs allowed :-( And you fly a UL, Jan, don’t you?

Peter wrote:

I have flown over Innsbruck many times but never landed there.

So did we and we were really pleasantly surprised how friendly ATC as well as airport staff was.

blueline wrote:

I guess @Patrick will also appreciate the mountaineering insights …

Right, it’s @Patrick !

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany
The only downside might be, no ULs allowed :-( And you fly a UL, Jan, don’t you?

Yes indeed – but it is no hardship. Such “big” airports – say anything with more than 800m runway – have little advantage to such a small plane, they are expensive only to offer facilities that are no or little use. Besides, I am used to it: in my own country even a smallish regional airport like EBAW Antwerpen does not allow ultralights, not to land and not even crossing the CTR. AIUI, Germany is one the few countries where it does happen: one sees reports every so often of a D-Mxxx flying into Dresden or Leipzig or so.

I do wonder if Innsbruck would allow me to cross their CTR – I have not yet looked at the maps, but to fly the Brenner route into Italy I reckon the CTR or TMA would be “incontournable” – unavoidable.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Innsbruck has parking issues. We did that somewhere in this “ski” thread. Admittedly that was in the winter but I don’t know if you can just turn up there and park for a few days… Also here

But… yeah… time to start planning a “EuroGA ski fly-in” I will just sit and watch all you people going down the black runs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I do wonder if Innsbruck would allow me to cross their CTR

They usually do so and are generally regarded as highly cooperative.

Innsbruck has parking issues.

Only during the NOTAM’ed periods in winter, when they are bustling with airliners bringing in the ski tourists. In the other times of the year it is a rather quiet airport.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

terbang wrote:

I guess @Patrick will also appreciate the mountaineering insights …

Right, it’s @Patrick !

Surest thing! Apart from the nice pics and report, this has definitely just become an item on my To-Do list. So far, I had Zell am See in mind (both for winter skiing and summer climbing) after not being able to fly there earlier this year.

Btw this weekend I’m flying to the “Harz” region, one of the few non-flats bits of Northern Germany, for a combined flying and climbing short trip – maybe a quick trip report will come out of that.

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

AIUI, Germany is one the few countries where it does happen: one sees reports every so often of a D-Mxxx flying into Dresden or Leipzig or so.

I spotted a D-Mxxx at Tangier’s airport in May!

Last Edited by Patrick at 12 Jul 18:29
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message