Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

What is Bern airport like for GA, rules and charges-wise?

I am heading for Wengen but conventionally (to Zurich) since the plane is having TKS installed.

Is Interlaken LSMI actually closed, or is there an aeroclub? This suggests some activity.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is Interlaken LSMI actually closed, or is there an aeroclub? This suggests some activity.

A quick googling found a website in German with info, In short: The airport is closed and the grounds are used for non-aviation activities, like motorsports, outdoor concerts etc. The runway remains and it is in principle possible to get a permission for landing from the Swiss CAA in connection with a special event on the airport grounds, but any permission would be granted (or not) according to the regulations for off-airport landings as Interlaken is formally not an airport.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
What is Bern airport like for GA, rules and charges-wise?

Bern is pretty nice and efficient, short ways, no handling, with landing fees in the 50-SFR-range, so rather reasonable for Switzerland. Other than a strictly enforced requirement for hi-vis-jackets nothing out of the ordinary on my numerous visits last year.
However, they seem to have introduced a general PPR requirement for all ACFT below 3,5 t MTOW, see AD 2.20.2.
Strange, I am sure that is a very recent thing…

Last Edited by tschnell at 21 Jan 19:54
Friedrichshafen EDNY

It’s been like this for at least four years.

No idea how exactly they handle this in the ski season wrt parking.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Really? Well…
Parking for visiting aircraft may indeed be somewhat limited, so calling ahead makes perfect sense.

Friedrichshafen EDNY

They seem to have loads of parking; the Q is how they use it. If say an aeroclub owns most of it and keeps it for itself, like at Innsbruck, it won’t work.

Administrator

I visited Annecy yesterday from Lydd and a few points may help other prospective EuroGA visitors over the winter.

Customs and immigration is 24 hours PNR and they mean it. I only gave 22h30min to Lyon and was told normally I would be fined for not providing adequate notice. This was fair enough – I knew it was 24 hours.

Customs also told me that I must clear inbound with them immediately after shutdown and before refuelling. I didn’t and refuelled as the pre-booked (via Rocketroute) bowser pulled up just as the master switch went off. I didn’t know that and thought crew were ok provided they remained airside.

ATC and customer service very helpful and a 5 hour stay in a 2T aircraft was €14.30 including landing, parking and tax.

Finally, the winter mandatory handling only applies if you arrive or depart on Saturday or Sunday and does not apply if you plan a long weekend Friday to Monday for example.

Lydd

Here’s the runway at Interlaken

Administrator

A quick report on Wengen and Grindelwald.

Loads of red runs (for those who can do them, which is probably most people here who ski).

The blue runs are more limited in terms of getting to them, and getting back up to the top of the one you have just done. From Kleine Scheidegg you have two very long ones, #22 and #36. #22 is mostly very narrow (2-3m) and very little fun except it is a good way to get from KS down to Grindelwald (faster than the train). #36 is nicer, with some wider bits.

Grindelwald seems better than Wengen, with e.g. #3 from the top of the “First” ski lift.

Wengen has no cars or buses and the whole area uses mostly the little trains to get around, so getting around can take a long time compared to a place where you jump on the ski bus.

So far nothing beats Madonna

Administrator

I once visited Crans Montana (by car) and noticed that LSGS is very close so could be an option

fly2000
Sign in to add your message