Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Wengen is really scenic but no way could one call it GA accessible. No cars or buses and from Bern it is best part of 3hrs on 3 trains. Very smooth but a load of hassle.

Skiing in terms of efficiency is mostly reds. The blues tend to involve a lot of hanging around to get back up. I found a couple of good ones though.

Getting around the area is similarly slow, on the trains.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Haven’t been to Wengen for years but it was a beautiful place to ski.

Forever learning
EGTB

It is hugely scenic indeed, but so are many places around mountains, when you have good snow, the sun is shining so you can see the surface properly, there aren’t any kids around, and the slopes match your skiing ability This is me messing about with the DJI stabilised phone holder

I actually liked the skiing even though for my level the area was mostly too advanced, and improved quite a bit in the last 2 days. I found a couple of runs which were great and could be done over and over without messing about, and in the morning were mostly free of kids and such. One of the runs took 2hrs to get to, and the other took 1hr to get to, which I think most would consider ridiculous if staying at a local hotel.

For a “fly to ski” topic I think several hours on the train doesn’t really qualify – much as Swiss trains run perfectly in every way

If the Interlaken runway could be used, you would be down to 2 trains and about 1hr total to get to Wengen. I asked one local about it and she said it has not been used for aviation for many years, though there is a helicopter (medevac?) based nearby.

Administrator

Here’s another short report. Few weeks ago I flew to Östersund, ESNZ in Sweden.

Then drove for an hour or so to Åre.

Conditions were -17C down in the valley and -3C at the top lift. We did a little off piste skiing.

and enjoyed this fantastic show for about an hour in the morning.

Airport was friendly, no formalities, just “we have your registration, will send you the invoice later”. I was able to start without GPU, but at -17 the sounds that came from the engine were not what I am used to. Overall it was a very nice change from the crowded Alps. Will definitely come back.

LPFR, Poland

Madonna is just 1hr from Bolzano so this will likely be my first “fly to ski” trip when I get the plane back

I can do some reds now which opens things up a bit. I still can’t compete with the EuroGA ski group which does black runs only if there is tailwind

Administrator

Moguls next?

Forever learning
EGTB

Peter wrote:

Madonna is just 1hr from Bolzano so this will likely be my first “fly to ski” trip when I get the plane back

Folgarida Marilleva is practically the same skiing resort as Madonna – they are connected with slopes and ski-lifts. When you’re in Madonna you should check this connection and go there – many nice slopes matching your proficiency level

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I just looked at the piste map and there is no obvious way to ski to Folgarida itself, though one can get to the general area down several red runs.

Folgarida is a much smaller village than Madonna although it would be fine if you are on your own and just staying for a few days. From Bolzano it is reached about 20 mins earlier than Madonna.

Madonna is unbelievably scenic, especially if you hit the Passo Groste before the kids arrive with their emulation of Brownian motion and the snowboarders occupy the slopes by sitting down in the middle It does get crowded though by about 11am, and forget getting any food in the “cheap” buffets which become standing-room-only.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I just looked at the piste map and there is no obvious way to ski to Folgarida itself, though one can get to the general area down several red runs.

From Pradalago down (partly blue and partly very easy red slope) and then up to Monte Vigo. And from there you can ski to both Marilleva and Folgarida.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

“cheap”

Cheap doesn’t exist there

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message