Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I was also going to suggest Sion. There are plenty of skiing areas around, Sion is a pretty big airport with customs and immigration e.t.c.

Never been skiing there, but there are some of the more famous areas there.

Samedan is viciously expensive and you need a test as well as an introduction flight with an FI if you have not been there during the last 2 years. Need to go there to keep mine open, but will do it only for a turn around less than 2 hours otherwise it is crazy. Spent one night there 2 years ago and paid 160 CHF. More expensive than Zürich actually.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

One thing I like about Lausanne is that one could descent through a layer above the lake.

Whereas Sion is CAVOK all the way to FL100-150, or nothing

And same for departing. It’s obvious that one could pretty well always get out of Lausanne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Historically speaking Sion has always had much better weather than Lausanne. The canton of Valais has one of the highest (if not the highest) percentage of sunny days in Switzerland. Obviously it doesn’t help if it is socked in on the specific day you arrive / depart…

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 13 Mar 08:22

If France is an option you could consider Annecy and then you can either stay in the town and drive each day to La Clusaz, or stay in the village of La Clusaz. It’s about half an hour’s drive. Not to many Brits in La Clusaz!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Annecy and Chambery have huge restrictions for small GA in the wintertime.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes, correct, Mooney Driver … you have to do the test and a qualification flight at Samedan

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 13 Mar 19:41

And it does test your finances too Alexis.

Actually, I have a faint hope that things might improve up there… there are changes going on which might eventually cause the powers that are up there to re-think their anti- small GA stance. It’s just a feeling at the moment based on some things I picked up at a recent AOPA event, but let’s hope. After all, constant work also helped in places like Elba.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I am stuck at work until 23rd March, so plenty of time to think about this

The fuel totaliser transducer has been replaced today, too. I managed to get one ($333) which is just 0.6% different in K-factor to the old one, which is below the typical summer/winter variation in fuel volume anyway. I will test the accuracy, of course, but it looks spot on for the known engine perf.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fly to Annemasse with alternates Geneva or Annecy.
Drive to Morzine but save yourself 10 minutes and stop in Les Gets.
Nicer and cosier village, 200meters higher and most of the Morzine skiing area is on the Les Gets slopes anyway.

Alternately fly to Friedrichshafen (or the swiss side airport) and go skiing in st Anton.

Les Gets is a friendlier skiong area, st Anton has better pubs.

Hey Peter,

I’m flying out to Annemasse again on Monday (16th), there for two weeks or so.

If you do come to the Portes du Soliel area, give me a call and we can meet up.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message