Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

I would wait for the stable HPA we usually get during winter and use that timeslot

Me too, but then you often get a thin layer, say base 1000ft and tops 2000ft, and a Class D airport won’t let you go. Been there, done that Stuck at Biarritz LFBZ for a few days, 1000ft cloudbase (was VFR then).

I’m usually dead tired and hungry like hell after a day of either. While I’d imagine Peter being more relaxed about flying due more experience, he stated specifically he is a beginner at skiing. I’m not sure piloting an aircraft home is a good idea at the end of a physically demanding skiing day.

I am not doing a day trip. Not from the UK! It’s 3hrs each way to Lausanne; more to Sion. You would barely land, refuel, take off and get back before the base here closes Even in an F16 you could not do it, usefully. Especially if there are issues with accommodation – the usual “GA” scenario.

It would be 3 nights. That of course increases the wx risk.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

then you often get a thin layer, say base 1000ft and tops 2000ft, and a Class D airport won’t let you go.

The winter HPA gives blue skies in Southern Germany and the Alps. Typically we get this for 10-14 days in a raw, sometimes several times per season. Also these VFR airfields will not prevent you from taking off in such conditions, 500ft base is legal and they have no way of measuring it.

Skiing with an overcast isn’t nice either, you freeze your [favorite body part] off. What is even worse is skiing inside clouds. That is why I changed my skiiing habits entirely to spontaneous trips in the right weather conditions as opposed to pre-booking months in advance.

Peter wrote:

Stuck at Biarritz LFBZ for a few days, 1000ft cloudbase (was VFR then).

Why didn’t you get out with a Special VFR clearance? Does France not do that?

Peter wrote:

I am not doing a day trip. Not from the UK

Fair enough – but I thought pointing out the fatigue issue was worthwhile for anyone else considering such a trip, maybe for a shorter distance that would work from a logistical point of view. I’ve had the same with rock climbing: I always thought how nice it would be to combine those and do a day trip flying to a climbing crack somewhere and then back. The one time I did that, I spent the day watching my climbing buddies do their thing and napping, to be fit to fly back. Had I climbed myself a lot, I feel I would have been too tired for the journey back, especially with passengers.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Peter let me reassure you with regards to weather – Sion is never socked in “forever”. It just doesn’t happen.

Also both Sion and Saanen are very effective with snow clearing – the first because it’s still sort of military, the second because there’s a lot of biz jets flying in (however Saanen does feature icy patches at times on the runway so be sure to read the SNOWTAM).

The approach is also quite interesting for those of us who aren’t jaded skygods just yet. The one downside are fees: 250CHF customs fee for non-Schengen arrivals and 200CHF per hangar night if you insist on your TB20 sleeping indoors :)

Thanks for that info… my colleague is checking out the Sion situation (slopes, accommodation etc) initially.

I will contact Sion for pricing. The above prices (are they Sion or Saanen?) come to ~ 600 quid for landing and parking/hangarage for 3 nights, which one isn’t going to be doing more than once

That pic of Saanen is fine to get into, in VMC obviously No worse than Elba, Albenga, etc.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Me too, but then you often get a thin layer, say base 1000ft and tops 2000ft, and a Class D airport won’t let you go.

How “won’t let you go”? They were refusing Special VFR?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Peter, the prices are for Saanen. Sion has a lot more civilised pricing.

How “won’t let you go”? They were refusing Special VFR?

Maybe a French pilot can explain how to get out of LFBZ in OVC010 unless one files a Eurocontrol IFR flight plan. This was some years ago, however.

In the UK, each airport has a VFR minimum in their ops document (MATS Part 1 or 2, not sure).

ICAO minimum for VFR in Class D is 1500ft.

Administrator

I usually fly to Courchevel (LFLJ) which I think is still great for skiing in/out but staying in Courchevel overnight is not a lot of fun. The chalets are very expensive and the one hotel you can stay in for an OK price (Mercure) is bad. So, I have the tendency to fly in early in the morning from e.g. Rotterdam, ski all day and then to leave again just before sunset and fly straight from Courchevel back to Rotterdam. I am a member of the aeroclub there and have access to AVGAS at Courchevel and if needs to be they will hangar my aircraft if I want to stay overnight.

The other option is that I fly at the end of the day from Courchevel into Chambery (they do not always charge the huge amounts if you ask them and tell them you want to fly in from Courchevel and will be out again the next morning) or Albertville, but you need special permission to land there, but I have friends there :-)

Another option I have never tried in winter time is to fly to Annecy (I don’t think their prices in wintertime are like Chambery) and indeed Annemasse is great as well. But then you still have to drive/travel all the way into the mountains. That is what flying to Courchevel makes so special.

This winter we are going to Austria for a first time for the skiing. We will be going to Schruns with the family which is near Hohenems Airport. Are there any pilots that have experience flying to this airfield in wintertime? As an alternate I would use Altenrhein (St. Gallen). Schruns can be reached in 45 minutes by car (toll road). Any suggestions appreciated.

EDLE, Netherlands

Minima for SVFR according to SERA are 600 feet ceiling, 1.5 km vis.

However, some airports (and definitely several French ones) have deviating (=higher) minima. You will find these on the respective VAC document.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message