Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

Cervinia is opening 24th October. Clearly they want to make money while they can. Quite a bit of snow already although need a lot more

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Didn’t last long… lifts closed 26th October

Administrator

Well, Saturday , with number of sick people growing fast and waiting government’s restrictions on everyday life, the photos of people packed in Cervinia cable car have not been received well on italian social media

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

Yes; the word travels fast I found it here

I recognise the first pic

since I stayed about 50m away from there in mid-January. But there was almost nobody around then, at any time of the day, and especially nobody in the morning. I wonder why so many queued? Maybe they thought the lifts would close soon. I agree it looks terrible.

The rest of the pics look great

Administrator

Switzerland is open!

It also sounds like Italy is planning to re-open once they sort out proper procedures.

I’ve been to Zermatt and wouldn’t rate it as good for my level (blues/reds) although – even on the scale of skiing being a non cheap hobby – it is brilliant for exercising the credit card insertion reflex Someone recommended Verbier. Maybe Sion?

Administrator

I checked some Swiss Government websites don’t see official indications of changes in Swiss law in relation to travel from UK or US. link

I’m not saying what is correct – others may have more current info.

I would be amazed if that info about Switzerland is correct! The Swiss are quite panicked about the second wave and the Valais has the highest infection rate in Switzerland.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 29 Oct 21:19
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I’ve received an email from gov.uk today confirming that Switzerland are dropping the requirement to isolate when arriving from the UK starting from 29th October 2020. The restriction was to anyone who had been to the UK within the past ten days but that has been lifted. Other restrictions have changed as well. See here

Rochester EGTO

Thanks for that info and link, the English is not 100% perfect but on the English language version it does appear that as of now only the following areas and countries are subject to Swiss quarantine:

Areas of neighbouring countries

France:

Region Hauts-de-France
Region Île de France
Overseas area French Polynesia

Countries and areas
Andorra
Armenia
Belgium
Czech Republic

And that’s it. link

It makes sense for the Swiss given that e.g. the per capita rate of new infections for yesterday in Switzerland is 10 times higher than the US state in which I live, and climbing rapidly versus being flat.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Oct 22:58

For sure that is why they allow it

However it is also not rocket science to work out how to stop incoming tourists from infecting anyone but themselves:

• in the hotels, space-out restaurant tables, table service only, close the buffet, and deliver breakfast to the room
  • on the ski lifts, enforce 1 person (or 1 self-declared group) per gondola
  • space out the lift queues resulting from previous point (may be tricky; police presence may be required)
  • shut apres-ski (or issue spacesuits to staff working there)

I’ve been to enough hotels on my trips this year to see how it works. Hotels are definitely the easy part, especially if they don’t serve food, except breakfast.

A pity Sion doesn’t seem to have a lot of ski slopes in proximity, other than advanced ones like Verbier which seems accessible too, with a ~1hr taxi ride.

I reckon Italy will re-open, for same reasons Switzerland has.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message