Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hire a snowmobile for the day.

United Kingdom

How about Scotland ?

Scottish skiers I know have described it as “rough and ready”

Administrator

I’ve been wondering over the past couple of days whether to post this or not. Ski lifts are closed at the moment but there is no lack of people tour skiing. To be honest the parking in Menthieres 10 mins from LFHN today was absolutely packed.
I don’t think there were many less people there than on a “normal” Sunday.

I took this picture when arriving at 8.15 this morning.

Snow conditions are fantastic at the moment only improved by the fact we have none of the usual tourists. This is how skiing is supposed to be.

You could shoot the ILS in LFLB and make your way to LFHN just following the Rhône (be about 10 mins) or shoot the RNAV into Annecy if you’re comfortable scud running it to LFHN (be about 5 mins max)

You’d want to familiar with the terrain with ceilings below 1500 ft AMSL but it’s doable on most days.

This is the view driving back down on Thursday of the Runway (where the Comanche is safely parked in the hangar)

Tour skiing requires a certain level of fitness but it’s all the more satisfying if the conditions are right. (As they are at the moment)

For everyone else (or as an apres-ski) there is always this…
rhos

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Thanks for these wonderful pictures, I miss the snowy mountains so much in this strange times. Enjoy your wonderful wine and cheese and keep healthy.
Greetings from Berlin

Sebastian S.
EDAZ, Germany

Those are wonderful photos, and yes definitely you should have posted them!

I see Cervinia has had loads of snow but now the grooming machines are not running anymore; they clearly were until recently despite being “officially shut”.

Having done it many years ago in Germany I don’t think I would be fit enough to do cross country skiing

Administrator

@Peter – the trick is to take your own rhythm from the start and not get tricked into trying to compete with anyone. I started to quickly in my climb today and got a bit of a spanking on the way down ;-). It’s all good on powder days like today though…

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Peter wrote:

Having done it many years ago in Germany I don’t think I would be fit enough to do cross country skiing

Actually what is the European situation on heli ski? For many years I simply assumed it is not possible and has to be done in the US or Canada. But it seems that is not true and Italy seems to be the only European country to allow it. Has anybody here ever done this?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

In Norway all the lifts with enough snow are running.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I recall seeing heliski adverts last winter, which would have been Madonna or Cervinia, or both. It’s probably not cheap – a few hundred per lift, I reckon. And wasted unless you are an excellent powder skier

Switzerland seems up and running, lifts and all.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message