Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best GA Aerodrome for Vienna

I have meetings in Vienna and would llke to know of an Aerodrome with Avgas (could be grass) that offers easy access to the city. Hard surface might be best as we could leave the plane there over the Christmas holidays and return a couple times in a December & early January. VFR only is fine.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 03 Nov 17:00
Tököl LHTL

Stockerau LOAU LOAU ticks all the boxes.
Friendly and helpful.

Vöslau LOAV LOAV
Should fit the bill, too.

Last Edited by ch.ess at 03 Nov 18:06
EDM_, Germany

I went to Vienna for New Year’s 2016. Since I did not want to get stuck at a field without an instrument departure like LOAN or LOAV, and ruled out LOWW because of slots and cost, I decided in favour of Bratislava LZIB.

IIRC we arrived on 30th Dec and departed on 2nd Jan. We took a taxi to the Bratislava railway station and bought roundtrip tickets to Vienna for something like 14 € a head. Cannot remember the cost of the taxi, but may have been 15 €. My wife remembers there was a tram from the airport to the railway station. Public transportation is very affordable.

The charges for landing, handling and parking amounted to something like 140 €.

I fueled Avtur and do not remember Avgas availability.

Overall a very good experience and an occasion to visit a little corner of Europe near the Carpathian Mountains.

LFPT, LFPN

My vote also for LOAU, Stockerau. They have a courtesy car and people are super friendly. I used it a few time to travel between Switerland and Ukraine.

Belgium

Old post, but I’ll 3rd Stockerau.

You can ask the LOAU team to arrange a cab for you that you can take to the railway station in Stockerau (5-10min ride) or directly to Vienna (15-20min ride).
Or you can use their courtesy car, if you have meetings that day.

Good location, doesn’t often experience bad weather (compared to the region).
Just make sure you have the reporting points located, as the approach is not direct.

Last Edited by AF at 12 Jun 21:24

Just looked into LOAU looks good but why on earth do most of these European airports NOT have at least a GPS approach??? Its like having a car that can only be driven on sunny days. Real practical

I guess you can fly to LHFM it has an unauthorized GPS approach then go to a train station or rent a car to get into Vienna.

In my case Ill get on a fast train from Budapest center city and arrive Vienna center city in 2 hrs. I guess the powers that be want you to use mass transit.

KHTO, LHTL

…The weather in Vienna is mostly vmc
;-)

Last Edited by ch.ess at 24 Jun 08:31
EDM_, Germany

Well, N403HP is not in a position to disagree…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just landed in Stockerau. It does tick all boxes.. Super friendly people and a €30 Uber is taking us to the city at a suggestion of the airfield people.

Be prepared for the reporting points though..

EDLN and EDKB

Really looks nice, even airport of entry with a form to be filled in is available for Customs and Immigration (different agencies are involved).

For winter, it sais however that there is no snowclearing… so I wonder how valid that airfield is for winter ops. Apart of weather concerns…

C210_Flyer wrote:

why on earth do most of these European airports NOT have at least a GPS approach???

Because the way things work in Europe, this would require a tower and controlled airspace and would probably end up making Stockerau as expensive as other such places.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message