Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New airfield in Croatia - Island of Vis

It is hard to write anything knowing that EuroGa experts already visited in situ :D
and the main infrastructure is carefully tasted.

Few facts,
1. The Rijeka airport was newer strong enough to build own airport properly during the HR times. Know that from
the first hand of 3 projects around them, MRO, storage and decommission and HEMS base. Recently one state
helicopter was damaged there on duty waiting, with no proper hangar space.
They entered in this game only counting on 9A vignette project – to manage network of small GA airports considering that GA can pay for that – FAILURE.

2. The Splitsko-Dalmatinska county have Vis airport included in civil planing.

3. The land there is in state ownership

4. The Law about Croatian Islands development and support have dedicated articles about air transport, covering small airports and helipads.

5. The Splitsko-Dalmatinska have some funds allocated for the purpose, which can be combined with EU funding.

6. State elections are next year. The civil HEMS contract is about to be signed. Vis have no infrastructure to support night operations. This airport
can be quick and clean solution in case that decision makers are going to be smart on time.

7. The state company marina network operator, never considered local air transport seriously. They even allowed luxury to lose already built helipad
in marina on near island. The private ECA seaplane story in Croatia went bad because of several reasons.
The repeating of the same concept under that state management, can be only another major mistake.

This is just entry, now barrage please :P

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 07 Aug 15:19
Croatia

Thanks for this brief summary and omitting local folclore details about the guy who chased off workers when they finished work on preparing runway.

9A vignette project hit obstacles on every step so it was set to fail. Somewhere they were faced with local politics, somewhere with lack of will and somewhere with pure vandalism. Such projects can’t succeed in Croatia without strong political support.

I’d be willing to help in preparing airport documentation but I would never want to lead such project. When I was helping re-establishing LDVA I had full support of mayor and good cooperation with CCAA. No real obstacles and it still took some 9 months and several documentation reviews. In case of Vis I believe it would be much tougher.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

;) You mean Mr Mratnić and the legend of rolling straw piles ?!

Agree 100 % with you, and can add one problem more, which is present on LDSH too.
Who is going to hold postholder positions within airport Operator structure?
My friends in Puglia resolved that issue for 14 civil registered helipads paid by EU,
by training of one of locals present on each H and the rest is done by remote functions
from Foggia airport. Fire Fighting functions included.

Croatia

You mean Mr Mratnić and the legend of rolling straw piles ?!

No. He was only persistent about consuming his contract for leasing the land until the end or getting other piece of land in replace if airfield was to be established before his contract expiry. I believe he was legally right although his standpoint didn’t help establishing the airfield. However, his contract expired end of 2018 and wasn’t extended, so this ceased to be the problem at that point in the time. I can tell you the name and the details in private communication – a clue is virtual aero club on the island.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

That clue is enough.
On the other hand not exiting Aero Club, means no available postholders…
you can not pay someone from outside to stay there with almost zero trafic
for the whole year. Even LDSB have serious problem with that.

Just for illustration that the miracles are possible even in 9A…
This baby level of H infrastructure is made by local private support + clever major +
support from both state operators. All done from zero to hero 2 months only, in the
summer 2022.
The proper civil paperwork must be done in accordance during the 2023/24

The picture is from today, 3 patients transported, one from Korcula, two from Orebic

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 07 Aug 18:41
Croatia

Does it have to be constantly manned? The Estonian island airports have somebody to plow the snow, but its usually some local person (actually, in case of EERU a local priest) who answers the phone and manages snow removal etc.. And EERU even has scheduled CAT during winter time with BN2 islander..
https://eaip.eans.ee/2023-07-13/html/eAIP/EE-AD-2.EERU-en-GB.html#AD-2.EERU

EETU, Estonia

Responsible person from Operator or deputy authorized by CAA must be present during the operations.
Before start of operations for the day, the runway and all operational surfaces must be checked for FOD.
The airport LOG must be maintained in accordance to standard aviation procedures with some special
adds in accordance to Airport manual.
All that for non controlled, non EASA registered airport up to 799 m.

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 07 Aug 21:04
Croatia

9A_LDSH wrote:

All that for non controlled, non EASA registered airport up to 799 m.

Wow. As bad as in Germany then. (At least until the new rules about not needing a Flugleiter has an impact.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The same is in Slovenia too.
The bad or the ugly is the choice. Knowing about the event in April 2022. on LDSH that “bad” saved the
neck of one German UL pilot. He was on approach when survey drone appeared on the one end of
runway doing low pass on 90 degree in parallel tracks. No sign on AMC portal, no info at Split RDR,
112 and CroControl alerted. Pilot informed. The drone operator located and processed in accordance
to the Law. The UL landed safely…
That was Happy End tnx to the “The Bad”.

Was there, first hand experience.

Last Edited by 9A_LDSH at 08 Aug 10:29
Croatia

9A_LDSH wrote:

The bad or the ugly is the choice. Knowing about the event in April 2022…

So that event happened to be at an airport. Should we have “responsible persons” everywhere across the country?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message