Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EVRA - Kaliningrad transit

Dimme wrote:

How did they find your email to send the invoice? Is that part of the flight plan remarks?

I don’t know the name of the database, but I’m guessing it’s the same one that US spammers use to subscribe me to various plane offers or even call me to ask if my plane is for sale. An e-mail address and phone is somehow attached to my plane. If you look up a plane on flightaware, it will display owner’s company name. It’s probably using the same database. Someone educated may explain it properly.

LPFR, Poland

How did they find your email to send the invoice? Is that part of the flight plan remarks?

ESME, ESMS

This explains why I was able to fly without permission:

1.4 During flight operations along ATS routes, the international flights of aircraft over the neutral waters in the area of responsibility of the Russian Federation (FIR), without entry into the sovereign airspace of the Russian Federation, shall be operated on the basis of the filed flight plan (FPL), without coordination of such flights with the Federal Air Transport Agency.

You should be fine too, assuming you stay over water. TIGNU or OTVOV to RANOK is a possible route. Maybe try contacting to confirm?

Last Edited by loco at 04 Jul 21:32
LPFR, Poland

Thanks! Yes, I think VFR might be more of an issue, and my idea was Klapeida – Gdansk direct, which is a lot closer in!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

Hi Loco. Could you say what part of Karliningrad you overflew? What pre-flight preparations were needed?

Hi @Aveling . It was just a small part over the Baltic. I wasn’t even aware that I would be flying in Kaliningrad FIR until I got transferred to their frequency. Later I got a bill by e-mail. It was the same agency that emails bills when I fly to main part of Russia. There were no preparations. Just a flight plan from EFIV to EPPO. I don’t know if it’s the same for VFR.

Here’s the route:

LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

I’ve recently overflown Kaliningrad FIR

Hi Loco. Could you say what part of Karliningrad you overflew? What pre-flight preparations were needed?

I’m interested because I’ve flown Tallinn – Poland – UK a number of times VFR studiously avoiding Kaliningrad.

Incidentally I was at Spilve EVRS last year and found it perfectly OK, although the abandoned terminal building would make a good set for the next Jurassic Park movie!

Last Edited by Aveling at 03 Jul 10:19
EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

My father did. In the mid-nineties. An adventure at the time.
It’s Russia, so all the usual complications (visa, permits, fees, difficult communication, no avgas) apply.
Anyway, the city is not worth it. Very little to see or do.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Anyone ever land there?

EHTE, Netherlands

I’ve recently overflown Kaliningrad FIR and for my aircraft (MTOM 3354) the charge was 16,30 USD per 100km. I’ve only flown 73 km and paid 16.30. Invoice comes by e-mail. One can pay with wire transfer or credit card.

LPFR, Poland

I started something ……. will try to finalize it. But making a long story short, I had a few challenging episodes, sunshine in Finland but ending up at an hospital for severe food poisoning and being unable to fly, while when I recover the weather was not good anymore (even for IFR due to likely ice), a stubborn magneto in LRAR grounding me for 1 day, etc.

LPSR, Portugal
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message