Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Solar eclipse anyone?

Someone tried contacting me on a possible trip to see the Eclipse, but can’t find the e-mail. I am not going to the Faoer Island. I might fly above the clouds on Friday to see the Eclipse with solar-glasses.

I emailed you a few days ago Aero – I’ll email you to the address on your profile?

No, a Night Rating cannot be required.
In SERA terms it is night when the center of the sun is below 6 degrees below the horizon (this is also the usual definition of civil twilight).
No mention of the moon or any other objects. Even if the moon was taken to mean " a light obstructing object similar to the horizon", which isn’t mentioned anywhere, the center of the sun cannot be more then half a degree or so from the edge of the moon during total eclipse, so light conditions would never go below day VMC.
(As a side note, night VFR is not allowed in the Faeroe Islands or Greenland without special permission from the Danish Transport Agency.)

Last Edited by huv at 06 Mar 15:08
huv
EKRK, Denmark

If you miss that one, there’s a good one in August 2017 across the USA.

I’m hoping for a camping trip to the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho. Smiley Creek airstrip looks like the perfect spot.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Looks like there could be a spare seat going to the Faroes for this if anyone is interested?

I will try to go up tomorrow, about 9am, with a camera. There is sure to be a solid cloud layer but likely to be thin.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am flying to Berlin in the morning, forecast is no clouds!

Just arrived on the Faeroes. The locals think it will be clear tomorrow!

EGEO

What time is it meant to be in say Shoreham area?

Administrator

Aart

Svalbard seems a little far, and does not allow private aviation anyway,

Since when? Several of my colleagues here have been to Longyear in the past several years, have they now closed for that? Where can I find a reference to that?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Found this – 0930 for EGKA

Administrator
Sign in to add your message